Bord Gais Deposit

bigbadostric

Hi all,

Just moved into new rental accommodation and moved the gas account - bord gais are now looking for a €200 security deposit IN ADDITION to a direct debit being set up. This is unwarranted in my opinion, and I am wondering why they are asking for this now seeing as they didn't last year on the other property I was renting? Can anyone advise?

Because people keep doing runners? Without paying?

I think in almost every aspect of life, service providers are asking for money up front to guard against non payment.

mf

Because people keep doing runners? Without paying?

I think in almost every aspect of life, service providers are asking for money up front to guard against non payment.

mf

Do you not agree that given we paid our bills in full via direct debit last year that a simple house move resulting in a €200 deposit is unwarranted? it puts me under unnecessary financial pressure and was completely unexpected.

I certainly intend to challenge them on this.

I don't think its unwarranted. Its not a personal attack on your creditworthiness - its a reflection of the wider world.

mf

Yeah, with the economy going the way it is it's no wonder more and more people are being asked for this deposit. Don't be surprised if it's extended to homeowners too. I can't see any challenge being succesful unless you can get gas from someone else who doesn't charge a deposit.

Thats what happens when you have no competition in the Gas service provider market. Look what has happened now Airtricty and Boir Gais have come into the electricity market.

Yeah, with the economy going the way it is it's no wonder more and more people are being asked for this deposit. Don't be surprised if it's extended to homeowners too. I can't see any challenge being succesful unless you can get gas from someone else who doesn't charge a deposit.

I understand why it's being asked but don't agree with it. I am going to fight it out with them and will let you guys know how I get on.

Back