BMW - expensive to maintain?

deranne

I really like the BMW 2 series 7 seater car, its alright paying a fair price for the car but I hear if anything goes wrong with any BMW, it can be costly to repair. Is this true, while I don't mind a certain amount of expense I don't want to regret buying the car also. Years ago I got a sportline Espace and it was a fantastic car but the tyres were a special size and cost an arm and a leg.

Yes they are. Expect to pay a big bill for anything that goes wrong. That said , they are worth the extra cost.

Once outside the manufacturers guarantee period you’ve got a ticking bomb with many modern cars. Very complex and so expensive to repair.

In my opinion. If you’re not buying new or nearly new get something mainstream and as simple as possible. Go petrol and manual would be a start. Diesel , turbos , dpfs, dual mass flywheels , auto boxes I’d try and stay away from. I’ve found Honda and Toyota Lexus to be dependable. ( though my Toyota ownership was pre hybrid)

Yes, they are expensive to buy, run, and service....

Once outside the warrenty period, find a good mechanic that knows BMWs, but is not a franchisee.

And yes, they are a nice car to own, and drive ;)

If you are going to own an expensive car, even 2nd hand, expect more expensive maintenance.

From my experience with two bmws I’ve owned there has been significantly less ‘going wrong’ with them than other cars I’ve owned.

Yes service costs etc are higher but that’s the norm with higher end cars.

I remember reading another report as well a year or two ago of another BMW, same thing, occupants escaped by chance just in time.

It goes away from your question a bit I know, but if it was me I'd want to look into what causes this type of thing to happen before I'd make that purchase.

After about ten years and 250,000km everything started going wrong with my dad's BMW 3 series and he's now spending close to four figures at a time twice a year.

Thank all, I spend maybe €500 a year on my current car but it is starting to cause problems and I can see that going up. I could handle€1000 per year but not much more than that and I don't mind if it is on a good car. We have never had a nice car so now is the time I think to do it.

After about ten years and 250,000km everything started going wrong with my dad's BMW 3 series and he's now spending close to four figures at a time twice a year.
Thats hilarious. He got his money worth with it.

Have a 5 series, the flywheel went under warranty, recall having to pay toward it but was negligible compared to overall cost. That was it really. Avoid main dealer service and as mentioned a decent mechanic will keep her running like a Swiss watch. They are a great car to drive and would buy again.

If he buys a new or nearly new car the depreciation cost will dwarf the maintenance cost.

BMW - large maintenance costs.

I've owned lots of different cars and I haven't found any major difference in cost to maintain any of them.
The biggest cost is labour and the independent mechanic doing the servicing and fixing charges the same rate no matter the manufacturer.

My current 5 series BMW is a bit more expensive to service (but not much) and a bit nicer to drive (but not that much either) than my old Ford Mondeo.

Replacing the Fly Wheel on a 2L Diesel BMW engine will cost around the same as replacing the Fly Wheel on a 2L Diesel Ford engine.

Just about all modern cars are reliable and well built.

If you are going to own an expensive car, even 2nd hand, expect more expensive maintenance.

From my experience with two bmws I’ve owned there has been significantly less ‘going wrong’ with them than other cars I’ve owned.

Yes service costs etc are higher but that’s the norm with higher end cars.
A 2L 5 Series is not a high end car. It's in the upper end of the same bracket as a Mercedes E-Class, Ford Mondeo, Toyota Camry or Kia Optima or even one of those Indian cars... Jaguar, I think they call them. They are all €45k to €70k cars.

A 340i or a M3 or M5 or a AMG Merc are high end cars.

A 2L 5 Series is not a high end car. It's in the upper end of the same bracket as a Mercedes E-Class, Ford Mondeo, Toyota Camry or Kia Optima or even one of those Indian cars... Jaguar, I think they call them. They are all €45k to €70k cars.

You're miles off. Ford Mondeo starts at circa 30k, 5 series starts at circa 60k. Totally different brackets.

The cars you quote as high-end are in a completely different bracket again, they are high-performance sports orientated driving vehicles. They are not what your average motorist would be thinking of when considering a "high-end" vehicle.

Last edited:

McLaren F1, Bugatti Veyron, Zonda…… that’s high end. I’m just waiting on my order of all 3

You're miles off. Ford Mondeo starts at circa 30k, 5 series starts at circa 60k. Totally different brackets.
Yep the top and bottom end of the "executive saloon" market, whatever that means. I like BMW's. I drive a 5-Series. It's grand. It's better than a Mondeo, though I do miss the fold down seats and bigger boot in the Mondeo.
But if a 520i is your idea of a high end car then you've never driven a high end car.
How about a Passat? As good a build quality as a 5-Series but boring as hell to drive. Same price as a Mondeo. The Volve V90 is more expensive than a 5-Series, great build quality and also boring as hell. Is that a high end car?
What makes a car "high end"? It is just the price? Is it handling? Is it build quality? Is it badge snobbery?

The cars you quote as high-end are in a completely different bracket again, they are high-performance sports orientated driving vehicles. They are not what your average motorist would be thinking of when considering a "high-end" vehicle.
"high-performance sports orientated driving vehicles."... wow, are they even cars at all Ted? Are they like the Bat Mobile?

Back