BMW 1Series

jprender

Has anyone got any experience of this car ?

My wife is thinking of buying one, need to know that the money spent is good value for money. (They aint cheap !!)

Do BMW's generally have good resale values ?

Resale value is fairish but really you can do much better for your money anyday. The BMW 1 series make even less sense than the Mercedes "Matiz" joke A series.

First of all there’s the styling. The BMW, however, is just plain ugly. It may have the double headlamps and the kidney grille but take a hard look, it looks like a van.

So what about the engine? Well, the petrol version will get you from 0 to 60 in about two hours, so if you want any poke at all, and surely that’s the reason why you’re buying a BMW, you have to go for the diesel. But that puts you into really silly prices for such a modest hatch back and diesel with rear wheel drive is really slow.

Worst of all there is no space in the back. And I don’t mean that legroom is limited. I mean there is absolutely none at all.

Its useless if you are squezing in junior and friend and heaven help us two adults!

What about the boot? in the 1-series it’s tiny.
And then there’s the ride, unless you are driving on a billiard table its rubbish, and the quality of some trim pieces, which will disappoint those who may have expected Germanic instead of Korean.

But the worst thing about the 1-series is the prices. In the past BMWs were expensive because they were demonstrably better, and more exciting, than all of their rivals. But the 1-series, is demonstrably worse.

Park one of these on your drive way and the neighbours will not think, “Hmm, that’s an expensive car. They must be doing well.” They’ll think, “Hmm, that’s an expensive car. They must be eejits. You can have a Golf GTI for less, and in almost every single way, is a better car.

If you want a hatchback, buy a Focus/Seat/Skoda. If you want a hatchback with some go, buy the VW

The Beemer 1-series is crap.
N Solo

Could N Solo explain why "diesel with rear wheel drive is really slow" ?

Have to agree though that the BMW 1-Series is a complete waste of time, quite likely the least "good value for money" car I can think of. unless its the badge you're willing to pay through the nose for. I've owned a 5-Series and it was the least reliable car I've ever owned!

As a result of the issues as outlined by NSolo, it is likely that residuals for the BMW 1 series are not going to hold up as well as other Beemers.
Another reason not to buy one.

I would agree with N Solo on everything except the performance of the diesel - I drove the 118D for a day and thought the engine was excellent - quiet for a diesel and plenty of power.

However, the rest of the car was crap!! Poor finish, bad driving position, felt "cheap" compared to other Beemers, and suspension as hard as a rock.

BMW's are all about the symbol, the brand. They are all over the place in Dublin and I dont think they are even a nice looking car. Its all about the BMW name.

Thanks folks, I wasnt aware that BMW was so poorly looked upon. as I said the car is not for me, nut I will surely be telling my wife what you think !!

thanks Again.

SteelBlue05 said:
BMW's are all about the symbol, the brand. They are all over the place in Dublin and I dont think they are even a nice looking car. Its all about the BMW name.

That's partly true but the 3 and 5 series are generally considered to be great cars. Maybe not the 316.

The 1 series has had bad reviews since the word go. It really is very poor for what you're paying.

Buy a Golf GTI or an A3 1.8T is my opinion.

Only the '05 turbocharged GTI mind you. The earlier ones had gotten so lardy they had "glacial" acceleration.

A3 is the same thing in a different suit. Same engine, gearbox, and chassis.

New Focus ST beats them all apparently. 2.5 litre turbo 5 cylinder (Volvo derived) motor.

Back