Blackout blinds and valance sheets

Thrifty

Hi,

Just quick query. Can't seem to find these in my hometown - Kilkenny or may be just looking in wrong places. Trying to find white (black-out blinds) for two windows in my house. About 90cm in width, 100-120 in lenght. Seem to have them in Argos in every colour but white. Am on a tight budget so would rather get the type i can fit myself. Am also trying to get box valance sheets - you know not the frilly type but straight ones with pleats at the sides to hide underbed storage. I pop up and down to Dublin so i could get them there but to avoid trawling all around the place i'd be grateful if anyone knew where to get at a good price. Thanks in advance.

Can't help on the blinds, but Dunnes and Penneys both do valance sheets as far as I know.

Hi Thrifty, Kays have quite a few box valance sheets - call 01 811 2222 to order a catalogue or shop online at [broken link removed]. I've bought a few in the past and the quality's not bad and they're delivered to your door. If they don't suit, keep the original packaging and send them back.

Hope this helps with the sheets - I have some blackout blinds but had to have them made to measure and they were around E80 per window. Alternatively you could get some blackout material, hem it and run a curtain wire thru the top of it yourself. It doesn't look as good as a blind, but would do the job if you're on a budget.

Don't know about blackout blinds, but they have blackout curtains in Roches stores and Dunnes stores, if that is of any help.

[broken link removed] do blinds so they might have some blackout ones. Harry Corry (Liffey Valley and Mary St.) might have both blinds and valance.

A read of Blinds might be useful. There are also a few other threads on blinds if you want to avail of the Search option on vBulletin.

Hi,

Thanks for all the help. Have just discovered Argos do box valances but will get kays catalogue - might have other stuff i need. Will check out the recommendations in relation to the blinds.

In my opinion, blackout blinds/curtains that are styled like normal blinds/curtains are no use. During the summer, your room will be lit up with all the gaps around the edge.

I got proper blackout blinds fitted by Castle Curtains and Blinds. The have a frame build around the window with a roller mechanism.

Unfortunately tey are very expensive. But they do the job and are high quality.

About €250 per average window, fitted.

Hi, thanks again for all the advice - only going for one room now with blackout blinds. Will risk a DIY job for the moment and consider getting them fitted properly when cashflow allows.

Back