Best way to subscribe to AAM messages

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by dub_nerd, Apr 19, 2017.

1. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

I have a subscription to the Askaboutmoney RSS feed, but it is next to useless -- each time a new message is posted to any thread the RSS feed spews out the first message in that thread again. So you know something has happened on the thread but can't see what it is without visiting the forum, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Then there are watched threads on which I have opted to receive email alerts. That works fine but obviously only happens for threads I am specifically watching.

So I've decided to try watching forums, and opting for email alerts on new messages. I've marked about a dozen forums so far, but my arm is aching... AAM has a lot of forums. Plus there will be new forums in future that I might miss, e.g. a budget forum for each year.

Is there an easy way to sign up for email alerts on all new messages on all forums?

2. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi dub_nerd

Apparently we can set up a Twitter account and it will send out automatic tweets.

I will have a look at it.

The problem I see is that we deleted a lot of new threads because they are spam. If they are tweeted immediately, then they might be given a new lease of life and Askaboutmoney could be a source of spam.

Brendan

3. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

Thanks for looking at this. Personally I hate Twitter and don't use it, but that's just me. I wouldn't be especially concerned about the spam threads -- there are also spam posts on existing threads and I already see those on threads that I am watching to. Plus, I'm already subscribed to half the existing forums, and just looking for a way to get the rest for less effort. I'll probably just finish the rest off later.

4. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

Easiest thing that I do is look at the unread posts and I view the ones that interest me.

I then mark the forum as read. There are never more than 2 pages of new/unread per day.

5. losttheplot

losttheplot Frequent Poster

+1 for the Unread Posts.

6. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

I used to use the Unread Posts page, but a) it cuts off at 10 pages/200 posts, so on the odd occasion when I don't catch up with AAM for a while they get lost, b) like the RSS feed it only shows the thread title and first post (on mouseover of the title), not the latest update.

On my emails or RSS feeds I can preview the first line or two of message text which would let me better decide if I want to read the whole thing. That's why I'd like to receive all new messages as mails because I like keeping up with AAM but really don't have time to read every new post in detail.

7. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

So I've deleted my RSS feed and signed up to watch new messages on (all?) 60 forums. :eek:

We'll see how that goes. :)

8. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

Update: looking good so far. I can evaluate new messages at a glance, and have to link to the actual forums less often. Would be nice if you could opt to watch all forums with a click -- even better if you could set default watch settings (e.g. to "new messages", "email notifications").