Best way to buy sterling?

makko

Hi,
I plan on going to Edinburgh for the summer to work and will need to buy sterling before I go over. What would be my best bet for buying sterling? I was thinking of doing a bit of trading on xe.com.
Has anybody ever tried this before? Are there any big disadvantages to take into account when considering currency trading?

Thanks,
Makko

Quote from xe.com

"Is Forex Speculation For Everyone?

No. Currency speculation involves a high degree of risk, including the risk of losing your entire stake. Never speculate with money that you cannot afford to lose. Before deciding to sign up, please make sure you read the information on this site, including the Risk Warning section."

Unless you're an expert on how Forex works; it looks like serious gambling to me. I'd change money at the airport/ bank etc, and suffer their commission and exchange rate :(.

Quote from xe.com

I'd change money at the airport/ bank etc, and suffer their commission and exchange rate :(.

Alternatively get an OAP to change it for you in BOI and don't pay any commission, I think they call it Golden Years or something like that.

Student accounts are usually commission free also. Well AIB Student Accounts definately used to be.

Back