best way to buy 15000 shares bank V's Broker

johnnyg

I'm interested in buying around 15000 shares in the 2 main banks today and was wondering which is the best way to do this as i would want to sell them in 2-3 months:
  • Go to the bank and buy them using there stockbroker service? I think they charge 1.65% plus stamp of 1%
  • Go to a broker? Not sure what they charge ~1%
The cost is not key here, its actually being able to sell them in 2-3 months and buying them today.
Any info, greatly appreciated
Sorry if posts already covering general comments but access to internet is limited at present so apologies

Unless you have a Crest account will get a share certificate, and you will need that to sell them when you want to. If it gets lost it's huge hassle. I had some shares a few years ago and wanted to sell them at a peak. I couldn't find the cert for a few days, by which time the peak had passed. It cost me about €200, so it was a valuable lesson.

It's an easy enough process. You just walk into any bank with a share dealing service, put in your order and they put that through to their broker who purchases them. If you do it through your own bank you can fund it from an account, which saves having to carry cash/drafts etc. A cert gets sent out to you a few days later.

To sell them, walk into any bank with the certificate and give your instruction to sell.

Just as an aside - a 2-3 month timescale for an investment in the stock market, particularly with the financial sector which is very volatile is a fair gamble.

Edit: Looking at share prices you may have missed the boat - AIB is up to 8.23 now.

8.23?I'm looking at Davy's and Goodbody's and they have them at 6.20 and 6.46 respectively.

The market is extremely volatile today because of the ban on short-selling..

The main reason for the jump imo is all the traders had to wind up there short positions i.e buying shares..

It will be interesting to see what happens the price next week.

OP, I have an online a/c ith Davys.. I am very happy with it.. You can buy and sell withhin a ten minute period if you want, their rates are good also...

OP, I have an online a/c ith Davys.. I am very happy with it.. You can buy and sell withhin a ten minute period if you want, their rates are good also...

Does the account allow you to place limit sell orders?

I have a Goodbody/AIB Share Dealing account and it doesnt allow you to to place limit sell orders. On that basis I would not recommend AIB.

Back