Best value electricity supplier for family with EV occasionally charged at home

Oakkea

Hi,
I would like to ask advise regarding best value electricity supplier for a family with apx 4383 K/W electricity usage annually, current supplier is Electric Ireland Standard Meter and rate of €0.397 & 14% discount. We have recently purchased an electric car (75kWh battery) which can be charged free at place of employment for most charging however we will need to charge perhaps once / twice per month at home also. Majority of electricity usage is by day so a good value day rate is necessary together with a competitive EV rate.
Advise Appreciated!

Hi,
I would like to ask advise regarding best value electricity supplier for a family with apx 4383 K/W electricity usage annually, current supplier is Electric Ireland Standard Meter and rate of €0.397 & 14% discount. We have recently purchased an electric car (75kWh battery) which can be charged free at place of employment for most charging however we will need to charge perhaps once / twice per month at home also. Majority of electricity usage is by day so a good value day rate is necessary together with a competitive EV rate.
Advise Appreciated!
What do you mean ev rate ? The rate for charging the car will be whatever the unit rate is and it sounds like a low all day rate is more important to you than say a day night rate to facilitate charging the car at night .

which can be charged free at place of employment for most charging
In the longer term, this may become an issues as more and more EVs appear on the road. Employers won't have capacity to offer charging for all and I can see a point where they'll be hit with BIK or other measures to make them less common. Of course that does not affect your options this year.

Hi,
Advise Appreciated!
Keep charging up to full on Mondays & Fridays, and make the most of your free charging at work.

If you have smart meter, the best EV rate is Pinergy Cooline - Drive time. which has 5 cent inc vat, but only for 3 hours oer night(2 to 5am), but comes with a day rate that is higher than what you are paying. This tarriff also comes with a €100 credit on signup.

This tarriff, is better suited to those who have PV and a battery together with higher night time consumption.

Energia(smart meter only) have a similar tarriff- Smart Drive, which has a 4 hour EV rate per night(2 to 6am) of 8.15 inc vat, and a day rate of 36.61 inc vat.

Both of these assume you have a smart meter. One can always make more use of those lower EV rates by having appliances on timers during the cheaper night period, also works well with heat pumps, heating water on low rates etc.

Then there are also several day/night meter tarriffs, which are non smart meters, but offer much more flexibility, as the night rate, is for 9 hours per night, i’m on one of these and paying 36.10 day, 17.32 night inc vat.

Watch the annual standing charges, as these vary from supplier to supplier

In short, allthough, your night consumption appears to be very low. you can still, get a lot better than your current 39.7 c re your 24 hour rate.

Back