Best time to cut hedges

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I am in the business of landscape maintenance,up to now I have been cutting grass and doing weed contol. Now I want to get into cutting hedges for private houses,my question is what,in general,is the best time to cut hedges,is it this month ?,I presume it varies according to the hedge type,laurel,lallendai,beech,etc.
Any help much appreicated.

It varies depending on the type of hedge. Also there are different techniques needed.

Do yourself (and your future customers) a favour and invest in a good book, e.g. one by the Royal Horticultural Society and/or do a professional course.

I suppose it doesnt affect the type of garden hedges you are talking about but I'd like to find out when is the best time to trim country ditches (whitethorn, blackthorn, sally, bramble/briar). Not so much for the sake of the plants (which are nearly a pest if not controlled), but more from the point of view of the wildlife that might be nesting there.

Presume winter is good re lack of nesting but, winter being winter, its a bit harder to organise trimming, so is there a "happy medium" or other "safe" time??

Try [broken link removed] Teagasc (damn, can't get link thingies to hide themselves!) or ENFO's guides http://www.enfo.ie/leaflets/bs10.htm.

Winter does indeed seem to be the best time according to these guides. Also try to leave a part of the hedgerow untrimmed each year in rotation apparently.

Thanks sherman.
It must be a strange "landscaper" who is not aware of nature....and the legal side of his business.It is illegal to cut hedges now.Have you got a poison/chemical handling licence -for the wedkiller?Propably never heard about it...
You better look for different career I would say.Or contact the FAS office.

HB1,only got to read your reply now.

If you had read my question properly instead of going off on a rant,you would hace seen am only intending on cutting hedges in people's gardens,that is decorative evergreen hedges,so you are saying this is illegal,next you'll be telling us its illegal to cut our lawns this time of the year. I come from a farming backround so I am very aware of nature and of course know it is illegal to cut "hedgerows !" this time of year,anyway thats not what I intend to do.
I was made redundant over 2 years ago (company closed) and could not get a job in the same line of work,so instead of sponging off the state and wasting FAS's time. Having a wife and 3 kids to feed, i got out there at started cutting people's lawns with a push mower and did odd small gardening jobs,including spraying a few weeds (for which you tell me I need a licence,don't make me laugh).
Things are going well now thanks very much,I now employ 2 people,instead of knocking people like me who are making a go of things,you should be encouraging us. I found your email highly insulting,I only asked a simple question,wishing to gather information so I could do a good job.
Lastly,I did not call myself a Landscaper, I said I was in the business of landscape maintenance (again you didn't read the question) which is entirely different,and indeed have turned down lots of landscaping jobs from customers as I do not have the experince.
I hope that you are never made redundant and face an uncertain future,and if you are, hopefully you can pick yourself up like I have.

Since you are in the business you need a poison license.Since you employ people you are in the business.Earning money or some thing aquivalent is business in the meaning of the law.
The law-wildlife act 1976 section 40 amended 2000 section 46- is valid for ALL hedges.No cutting from the 1st of March 'till the 31st of August.Full stop.
The "farming background" from wich you claim to come must be as bankrupt as the company that made you aparently redundant.No wonder with employees who give a dam about our lawsystem,our heritage,our health.Have at least your employees a training in chemicals handling ? Who is controling their work?You?Ask FAS for advice.
And we wonder about spiralling costs in our health system.....Do you know what it costs to transplant a poisoned liver,a kidney ? Ever bothered? Is your wife washing the kids cloth in the same machine like your work cloth?
Greed,pure greed turned you into a criminal,see above.Nobody in this country will starve because he/she is made redundant.
If you realy have a farming background you would know that St.Johns day is a crucial date when it comes to cutting perennials,but maybe your farming was more a looking over the hedge job?!
Get out of this job and leave it to the professionals.It will be cheaper for everyone incl. yourself.Fines can be hefty.And showing/teaching the children that Daddy can simply ignore societys need for regulations and sponging the system,well,your local social and welfare officer will keep an eye on your kids.He has to "waste" taxpayers money.
Expecting AAM to support you when irresponsibly handling poisonous substances/breaking the law is more than scrupulous.If my rant and insult (plus the legal info) has given you food for thought than I am glad.I am always willing to repeat it - if necessary.Teaching is the art of repeating.
heinbloed

Dear Unregistered Guest
I found the reply from HB1 offensive also !
This parasite on society with his narrow view of the real world has most likley had his education and present income paid for by folk like us who have to work for a living and He like most of his ilke has lost or perhaps never knew what earning a living without State aid.
He is just a waste of good air and the sooner God takes him the better.
Keep up the good work.

Best Regards
Roger

"valid for ALL hedges"

Jaysus, I'd say every second person in the country must be in trouble. Every single house bar none in my neighbourhood cuts their hedge at least twice during the summer.

Can people please adhere to the otherwise the topic will be close and/or deleted. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back