Best thermals to stay warm and dry

muinteoir

I'm not sure if anyone can help with this. I need to get the best thermals/base layer to keep me warm and dry. They are very expensive so I want to make sure I buy the right product. I've been loking at the Kathmandu active and motion base layers. It looks like active is better but is more expensive.

I'm talking about just general wear. I have very poor circulation. Doing something outside would be a bonus.

As a hill walker, I would say layers of clothing are usually the best. I have used Berghaus as rain gear, but if there's no need for this, I think you can get away with cheaper versions. One of the best, and most comfortable items to stay warm are fleeces and puffer jackets. Again, no use for rain, but they can be very comfortable. M&S do them, as does Dunne's.

I'm talking about just general wear. I have very poor circulation. Doing something outside would be a bonus.
Got you. I have a relative who is similar & really it's layering up is the big thing.

The main chain stores do reasonable thermals; those sold in the mens section have higher necklines also have long sleeves. Also their long johns are good under trousers. If you are a women, you can sew up the relevant areas easily enough. A pair of nylon stockings (get the very very largest if you are a man) can be surprisingly effective as a base layer also.

I would agree with the above posters re layering up or down as your body needs
I do a lot of cycling and never cycle without a base layer as it's now essential for heat and sweat management
Another item to consider would be a Microfleece Gilet as another layering option
Decathlon do a cheapish one from €10 to €25 depending on whether you a woman or a man

I'm a big fan of merino, works well whether dry or wet. SportPursuit often have deals on SuperNatural or Isobaa gear (just watch the shipping dates). Cervelo's point on gilets is a good one, a decent gilet can make a big difference to heat retention and they can be worn under a jacket to give you options to adapt to changing weather.

Trespass are half decent and not too expensive.
The north face has good stuff but expensive.
Helly Hanson has excellent stuff but very pricey.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out all those. I really appreciate the help. This is a huge problem for me so all the advice is going to be a huge help.

Merino wool is particularly good for undergarments and layering. I use Icebreaker and while pricey, it lasts forever and regulates temperature well. Try the socks as a starter.

They have a Baa code so you can find the sheep the wool came from which I found amusing.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out all those. I really appreciate the help. This is a huge problem for me so all the advice is going to be a huge help.
I can totally sympathise, my relative feels any chill; hands are like ice.

Layers, layers and more layers. Lots of thin layers are better than thick ones. Each layer traps warm air and that's the trick.

Back