Best option for 10,000€

masterboy123

Hi,

I have never invested my money and looking for some advice here.

I have 10,000 euros which I would like to invest for a year. I am currently with AIB.

What's the best & safest option for me please?

harsh and cold reality is you are going to get little or nothing over a year, especially when DIRT is factored in. If you make more then €75 after DIRT you're doing well

Could you help me how much am I going to get for 10,000 euros for 1 year?

harsh and cold reality is you are going to get little or nothing over a year, especially when DIRT is factored in. If you make more then €75 after DIRT you're doing well

Ok so it's around €75.

I have been reading other threads. Are Prize Bond any good given no DIRT on them? Assume I don't have any winnings in a year, how much can I make out from 10,000 euros in a year?

Thanks again.

Z-E-R-O is the answer to your question.
Have you a loan or a mortgage to pay back. Paying the 10k towards that will give you more than any interest you can earn.

So basically we now know, 10k invested for a year in the safest option is basically worth nothing. Just wondering from a financial knowledge side of things, what did you think it would return, money wise? Im just wondering to gauge public expectations of saving Vs reality, please don't take offence.

A poster mentioned you can get interest of €75 on €10k.

You could also call into Paddy Power and ask them for odds on Kilkenny v Tipperary in the All Ireland Final on Sunday. Then stick your 10k on either of them at 11/8 or 8/1 the draw. If it was a draw your 10k would get you €80,000.00 and your original 10k back as well. Now, where were we?

A poster mentioned you can get interest of €75 on €10k.
I think you misinterpreted my question. I know it's only e75. I was wondering how the e75 tied in with your original expectation of return? For example, did you expect to be able to get e1000, a 10 percent return say? Or did you have any expected return in mind?

What if I loose the bet?

I was expecting around 250€.

That's 2.5% - one year deposit interest rates haven't been that high in years

I remember well, my grandfather sold his car and gave me £1,000, from the proceeds which I thought was huge money at the time.

I went into the bank to see how I could invest my windfall. There was nothing that over a year could pay me more than the equivalent of an few extra hours work at my job in the pub.

The disappointment. I thought I might as well just blow the money.

Not a lot of motivation to save/ invest when returns are so low is there?

Feels like saving at these returns can only be useful for wealth creation when seen as a means to protect yourself against having to take on expensive debt in the future e.g. car loan or similar.