Best Irish Based Life Company Investment Funds

dublinwoman72

I am looking at investing longer term some of my funds in a medium risk (roughly risk rating 5) Irish based life company investment fund such as from Zurich, Irish life, standard life, Aviva, New Ireland etc. I am aware from reading all the posts that etfs and investment trusts are better value etc but I don’t want the admin that goes with these at the moment. I would be investing a lump sum throu a discount broker and it seems Zurich have the lowest entry charges. Doing a websearch of the various company offerings, Zurich’s Balanced Fund/ Active Allocation Fund / Prisma 4 look like the best offerrings and their website is excellent in terms of explaining things. Any view on which one of these three from Zurich to invest in? Also what about Irish Life Multi Asset Fund portfolio and also Standard Life My Folio offerings ? I’m not familiar with Aviva or New Irelands offerrings. Thanks for any help.

"Best" in what way exactly?
Why not just pick a low charges fund that tracks a suitable market index?
That largely levels the playing field.

can you suggest some ? What split would you have say between a US / European / Other Developed markets index tracker ?

Zurich’s Balanced Fund/ Active Allocation Fund / Prisma 4 look like the best offerrings and their website is excellent in terms of explaining things. Any view on which one of these three from Zurich to invest in?

The current (28/07/2023) Asset Allocations by Fund are :

Balanced - 71% Equity, 28% Bond, 1% Cash
AAA - 55% Equity, 25% Bond, 12% Alternatives, 5% Cash, 3% Property
Prisma 4 - 53% Equity, 30% Bond, 9% Alternatives, 5% Property, 3% Cash

Choosing a fund that tracks a market index would bring you to a 6 on the Risk Rating

The curent Other Ongoing Costs by fund are :

Balanced - 0.04%
AAA - 0.08%
Prisma 4 - 0.07%

(So, costs are slightly higher for second two because of allocations to alternatives and property)

IFF you wanted to look back (as some people do) at how these compare from 11/10/2013 to 30/07/2023 on an annualised basis (net of charges) then:

Balanced - 7.81% pa
AAA - 6.69% pa
Prisma 4 - 6.2% pa

IFF you are trying to figure out which one will be the best over the next ten, then no one knows. Your decision should be based on what indicative assets/allocation you want in the fund.

Gerard

www.bond.ie

Back