Best Credit for use Abroad (Options)

Freddie

With Halifax closing I need to get a new credit card in the next while. I always pay my balance in full each month so APR, late fees etc don't affect me.
I want to get a card purely based on the cheapest one to use abroad in terms of non euro purchases, non euro withdrawals and cash advance fees.
With this in mind, which of these is the best card to apply for, or is there a better one out there?
Also I'd like to be able to see all my transactions online, not just a balance like I currently have with Halifax Online.

Bank of Ireland - Clear Credit Card
Card type MasterCard
Minimum qualifying salary (1) €16,000
APR % charged on purchases 9.5%
APR % charged on cash withdrawals 19.9%
Maximum interest free period on purchases 56 days
Maximum interest free period on cash 56 days
Cash advance fee: minimum % of transaction 1.5% (Min €2.54) (2)
Late payment fee €7.50
Over credit card limit fee €6.253
Unpaid item fee €9.50
Non euro purchases fee (as % of transaction value) 1.75%
Non euro cash withdrawals fee (as % of transaction value) 1.75% cross-border handling fee plus 1.5% (Min €2.54) (4)

Introductory APR % on balance transferred 0% for first 6 months
Introductory APR on new purchases N/A
(1). Providers use individual credit scoring systems to determine the risk profile of applicants. Some, in addition require a minimum salary level.
(2). No cash advance fee applies if account is in credit or has zero balance after cash withdrawal is processed.
(3). A charge applies in relation to any statement period in which one or more overlimit positions have occurred.
(4). If account is in credit or has zero balance after cash withdrawal is processed only the cross-border handling fee will be applied.

Permanent TSB - ICE
Card type Visa
Minimum qualifying salary1 No minimum
APR % charged on purchases 13.5%
APR % charged on cash withdrawals 16.9%
Maximum interest free period on purchases 56 days
Maximum interest free period on cash 56 days
Cash advance fee: minimum % of transaction 1.5% (Min €2.00)
Late payment fee €7.50
Over credit card limit fee €7.50
Unpaid item fee €10.00
Non euro purchases fee (as % of transaction value) 1.75%
Non euro cash withdrawals fee (as % of transaction value) 1.75%
Introductory APR % on balance transferred 0% for 6 months
Introductory APR on new purchases N/A

(1). Providers use individual credit scoring systems to determine the risk profile of applicants. Some, in addition require a minimum salary level.

In the exact same position as you.Also looking around for a new current account as I also used Halifax for that too.They were head and shoulders above any other bank I've dealt with.
AIB click seems best deal but I really would prefer to bank elsewere..

AIB Click definitely not the best

Cash advance fee: minimum % of transaction 1.5% (Min €1.90) Point 2 below

Non euro purchases fee (as % of transaction value) Visa: 1.75% within Visa Europe region; 2.75% outside Visa Europe region.

Non euro cash withdrawals fee (as % of transaction value) Currency conversion fee: Visa 1.75% within Visa Europe region, 2.75% outside Visa Europe region. Plus cash advance fee of 1.5% (min €1.90) Point 2 below.

2. This charge is also applied when account is in credit.

Hi Freddie,
You seem to know your stuff!!Think I'm going to switch current a/c and credit card over to Perm TSB.They offer fee free banking (with no stupid catches like having to keep €500 in the a/c etc) plus 2% interest.Their ICE visa seems OK plus I presume I'll be able to use online banking to transfer funds quickly between current a/c and CC a/c.Also I hope Perm TSB will bring in Visa Debit card soon as this was really good with Halifax.If theres a better alternative out there,feel free to advise!

Hi Freddie,
I see Ulster Bank are using the Visa Debit card so would it make sense to open a/c with them and just use that card(instead of having debit and credit card).Therefore you will only pay gov levy on 1 card instead of 2??

AIB Click definitely not the best

Cash advance fee: minimum % of transaction 1.5% (Min €1.90) Point 2 below

[]

2. This charge is also applied when account is in credit.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand this last point.

Are credit cards not always in credit?

I'd appreciate any enlightenment you could give :eek:

Thanks

R

No, they are usually in debit/debt! Credit means you have money, debt means you owe money.
You can transfer money onto a CC when the balance is zero, thereby being "in credit", as you have extra money on it. This is called pre-loading. Its useful when abroad to avoid charges as most CC providers dont charge a cash advance fee it you withdraw (at ATM) when in credit *note above AIB is an exception to this

Oh, ok.

Sorry about the credit/debit mix up... my old business studies teacher would be ashamed.

Re: pre-loading - I had no idea you could do that. Very useful. Thank you for the info.

Just called the permanent TSB information line.

They also charge the Cash Advance Fee regardless of whether the account is in credit/debit.

Re: pre-loading - I had no idea you could do that. Very useful. Thank you for the info.
There are other things to note with pre-loading. As far as I know if you re load with money and then the card is stolen you can't claim back for any fraud / purchases made. Unlike with usual way where by you can claim back when fraud happens. You need to be careful of this.

.Also I hope Perm TSB will bring in Visa Debit card soon as this was really good with Halifax.If theres a better alternative out there,feel free to advise!
I'm moving from Halifax to PTSB they said to me they will have Visa Debit later this year. I dont find Ulster Bank customer service any good so not going with them even if they already have visa debit.

Back