Best Credit Card

L

Lemurz

I have a [broken link removed] Mastercard from Ulster Bank which pays my stamp duty (€40) once I spend over €5,000 per annum.

I also have a [broken link removed] Amex which gives me 1% rebate on everything I charge, however it's not widely accepted.

Anybody know any better deals out there, as I charge all my business expenses, and pay my cards in full each month.

If you pay your bill in full each month then what's "best" probably boils down to who subsidises/sumsumes the cost of the annual Stamp Duty charge, who charges the lowest foreign exchange margin, who offers the longest credit period, who offers the best rebates etc. Are the details in the best buys list of any help?

I see the Pigsback MBNA Visa card offers 2,000 PiggyPoints when you sign up and you earn 1 PiggyPoint per €1 spent!

Any idea what a piggypoint is worth in cash terms?

Lemurz: I use pigsback as my isp and build up points by the odd glance at their 'offers' and also by joining up to answer questionaires they fire out every so often. last month cashed in 5,000 piggypoints for €50 voucher at irish country manor hotels. which i have a year to use. later this year I hope to switch to piggy for my cc provider as I am already with mbna but have to wait to see how avoid the double whammy which is currently in operation if you switch cards. when i change over i intend to purchase petrol etc and as many everyday items i can in order to build up points. As I use an post for paying the account I know I can deposit the cash in advance before spending, which is a practice I have got into. all you have to do is give them your card and just tell them the amount you want to pay. simple. and you get your statements monthly anyway. you dont have to wait for a statement to make a payment.

ptsb announced this week that they are introducing an 'ICE' card this year that will have an APR less than 10% (9.9% I think).

100 piggypoints are typically worth €1 but the options regarding what you can do with those aren't amazing so you'd best have a look yourself. There are vouchers for CDWOW but there is a handling fee so the above rate no longer applies.

TESCO Personal Finance has launched a special offer for new credit card customers. Tesco will pay the €40 Stamp Duty charge for the first year and will not charge any interest on balance transfers for the first six months after the account is opened. Tesco Credit Card offers customers three Clubcard points for every €2 spent in a Tesco store nationwide.

how avoid the double whammy which is currently in operation if you switch cards.
FYI - This was removed in the 2004 budget

"how avoid the double whammy which is currently in operation if you switch cards.
FYI - This was removed in the 2004 budget "

FYI - this is not going to happen until the Finance Bill is passed - some time in Feb 05. Until then, if you switch cards you'll get hit with the €40 twice.

Back