Best Credit Card When Travelling

J

jackfrost

Going travelling for a year in October and need to start sorting money issues. I bank with AIB and still have a student mastercard with them but this will be no good to me then as it has to be renewed annually and has a low limit (€1500). Has anybody any experience of the best credit cards to use abroad wrt commission, exchange rates, cash advances? I hope not to have to use my credit card for cash advances but best be prepared...

I know there is a similar thread on this topic but it may not be up-to-date.
Is Visa still more widely accepted worldwide than Mastercard??

what i done was put my visa credit card in credit that way no charges for useing your own money. only problem you wont be earning any interest on it & of course the credit card company could default. best to use one of the big credit card companys

ye, be carefull... i'm traveling at the moment, and was using my halifax visa as an atm... as long as it was loaded with cash, the charge was 1.1% or a maximum of 2.50...

they're closing and have now left me stuck with my emergency atm card... at 3.5%... got charged almost 10euro to take out 276euro the other day...

visa is best... but make sure it's not a micky mouse operation.

what you should do... open an online savings account with a decent interest rate... put all your cash in there... then load your visa while you go... i did this in 2008, got a good rate with first actives online saving account of 5%... it's now only 1%

just make sure it's a reliable bank... or you'll be stuck like me without a visa...

Stay away from visa cards that are issued in Europe. Visa Europe does not enforce their agreements with member banks.

If you make a visa purchase, you naturally expect the basic protections visa claims to offer. But if the product breaks, or doesn't get shipped, or whatever, and you get ripped off, and the member bank refuses to dispute the charge with the merchant, you cannot escellate the matter.

Visa Europe will tell you to get lost if you try to report non-compliant member banks to them. Member banks are well aware of this, and are largely out of compliance at the moment as a result.

If you want a visa card that protects, it's better to get it from the US or Asia, because member banks of Visa USA and Visa Asia comply with visa terms.

Back