Best Credit Card for travelling/buying abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the card and applicable T&Cs/tariff of charges. Usually you are only charged a cash advance fee on cash advances and not withdrawals from an account that was preloaded - but check to be sure. Usually interest applies on cash advances from the date of the advance although some cards only charge it once the normal credit/billing period has elapsed. Again check your card details to be sure. Lastly if you withdraw cash outside the € zone then you will certainly be charged some foreign exchange margin as part of the translation back to € for billing purposes. This is normally 1.75% or more depending on the card. As an example with my PTSB VISA if I preloaded cash and withdrew it then the only charge applicable would be the forex margin built into the conversion rate. If I did a cash advance then I would be charged 1.5% of the transaction subject to a minimum charge of €2 (I think) but I would only be charged interest if I did not clear the advance by the time the normal billing/credit period has elapsed. I think that the PTSB card is unusual in the latter respect.

I phoned AIB about putting credit on myAIB VISA card before travelling abroad :

Charge of 2.75% built into each withdrawal as a currency exchange

No additional charges if the account is in credit

Some cards charge 1.75%. 2.75% is on the high side. If you have a Cirrus/Maestro/Plus+ facility on your card (often bundled on ATM/Laser cards) then check the forex charge and other transaction charges on that just in case it might be more cost effective than the CC in some cases. For example I'm not sure what forex margin applies but PTSB Cirrus charges 3.5% on non € cash withdrawals subject to a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43 so perhaps for some large withdrawals where the maximum charge of €11.43 becomes a smaller percentage it might be more cost effective than the CC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back