Benefit in Kind re professional Subscriptions

44brendan

I work in the area of Financial Services and have an accountancy qualification. This is necessary to my employment and my employer paid the costs of obtaining the qualification. They also cover the annual subscription which up to now has not been eligible for tax. Following payment of this year's subscription I was advised by Payroll that the payment would be subject to Benefit in Kind Tax as a result of the recent Finance Act. This was news to me as it hasn't received any publicity up to now.
Does anybody know whether the change is specific to employees and whether the self employed can still offset these payments against their tax charge. If so it appears grossly unfair and another attack on those of us in the PAYE sector!

The Finance Act brought in the change. Previously it was allowed by Revenue concession.

Employers are under different rules and can still claim it back. Self employed people are not entitled to the PAYE credit, most social welfare benefits, have a top marginal tax rate of 55% compared to 52% for employees etc.

Back