Benefit Entitlements

scully

Hi guys,

I have recently been posting on the non-registered forums, i found this site very helpful that i decided to register.
I have a general query that I need help with.

I work full time and pay tax at the normal rate of 20%
My bf is partially blind and therefore gets a long term Disability amount, the same as Social Services at 148.80, he also gets a blind supplement allowance of 46.30 per week.

The query is if had a child what original benefits would i get, would bf get any extra benefits, and if the child had the blindness as the father, what extra benefits etc would we all get.

I dont want to live off benefits, and I intend to continue working after the baby is born, but as a full paying tax citizen, I would like to claim what i am entitled to. Its hard been the main sole income.

Also do you still get childrens allowance even if you go back to work.

Would circumstances be different if we married and then a baby etc

Thanks

scully said:
I work full time and pay tax at the normal rate of 20%
My bf is partially blind and therefore gets a long term Disability amount, the same as Social Services at 148.80, he also gets a blind supplement allowance of 46.30 per week.
I presume that this is the means tested Disability Allowance rather than a PRSI related Disability Benefit? If so then bear in mind that changes in your overall circumstances could affect entitlement to means tested benefits.

The query is if had a child what original benefits would i get, would bf get any extra benefits, and if the child had the blindness as the father, what extra benefits etc would we all get.
Not trying to dodge the question but you might be as well to inquire directly with Welfare and/or your local to get a better overall view on the sort of benefits and payments to which you are entitled to now and might be entitled to in some hypothetical situation in the future. also has a lot of useful information on this and other topics. From your other posts I guess that you boyfriend/fiancé already deals with them but the NCBI might also be able to advise on relevant issues.

Also do you still get childrens allowance even if you go back to work.
Yes - is a non means tested payment available to all parents regardless of income and is not taxed or means tested. However it may be taken into account when assessing means for other means tested payments - I'm not sure.

Would circumstances be different if we married and then a baby etc
In what respect? One thing that would be different would be your [broken link removed] with higher credits and standard rate band which may benefit you in terms of net income. There may be some other relevant tax related information [broken link removed].

thanks clubman,

lots if information there to start reading up on. looking forward to what the future brings. alot of planning & saving.

Back