Being Paid by UK company ... taxation advice

James99

My sister in law (irish girl) is now being paid by an UK company. She travels international do her work, and the main office of the company is based in Dublin but her function area (sales) has been outsourced to a UK company. They pay her in sterling and are based in the UK.

They say they dont mind whether she sets up her own limited company as a contractor or becomes a full time employee (no extra benefits available and no great security with being permanent).

Does anybody have any experience on how best to work this situation from a tax point of view. How can she minimise the tax she needs to pay. I presume it's to the UK government?, but I am not entirely sure.

Any advice welcome.

Tricky area - I know in Ireland it is not a matter of personal choice as to whether to be a contractor or an employee. Revenue may take a view on this matter regardless of what the employee/contractor chooses.

I think it might also depend where she's doing the work. In the EU at any rate, you've got the 180 day rule to deal with (i.e. is she spends over 180 days in any one country, that where she's got to pay tax.

Back