Being laid off soon

Sierra

I'm more than likely being laid off in a couple of months. I've a few questions to ask.

I haven't as yet mentioned redundancy payments to my boss, I believe I'll be entitled to two weeks for every year I worked untaxed plus a bonus week. Is that correct? As it calculates to be four and a half years I presume the half year re: redundancy pay & holidays is done pro rata, in other words I will get half of my years entitlements. Can my boss refuse to pay it?

How much would I get on the dole. I'm a single woman with no dependents & not renting. How soon before I'm being laid off do I need to contact the Dep of Social Welfare re: the dole.

I'm considering going to Australia for an extended holiday of say two months before I return & look for another job. Could I still claim the dole over this period given that I won't be looking for or be available for work cause I'm supposed to sign in every week or something, amn't I & one has to be in the country to do that.

The current rate for Unemployment Benefit is €165.80/week.

Your claim will start the day after you finish work, and that is when you should present yourself at the office. There may be a period of disqualification if your redundancy is over €19,000 (approx).

You would not qualify while taking your trip to Oz, the max holidays allowed on UB is 2 weeks.

[broken link removed]

You should make an application on the first day you're unemployed to your local Social Welfare Office, but there's a period of three 'waiting days' when you first apply for Unemployment Benefit. So your first week's payment will only be €82.90.

It can take a few weeks to process your claim and you won't get any money until it's done. You could apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance (usually at your local Health Centre) while you're waiting but this is means tested.

Make sure you bring all necessary documents with you like a P45, Driver's Licence, Passport, long version of your birth certificate and proof of residence (usually a household bill that has your name on it).

Good luck.

I'm due three to four weeks holiday pay which I intend to use after I've been made redundant. Could I technically claim the dole while I'm on this or after I've returned from Oz?
My boss keeps offering me keep me on one day a week, not very practical but could this affect my right to redundancy money?

I was made redundant in May 2004 - I left for the US two days later and did not work while I was abroad. I returned to Ireland the following November and took myself off down to the local dole office once home. I signed on and was told that there is approx 6 (I think) weeks between redundancy and your entitlement to receive money (the perid of disqualification mentioned earlier). Even though I was not in the country during the period May to November (hence not looking for work) my claim was accepted from the date I applied i.e. they did not make me wait an additional 6 weeks. I would recommend you take a look at regarding the shortening of your working week though. HTH

Sierra said:
I'm due three to four weeks holiday pay which I intend to use after I've been made redundant. Could I technically claim the dole while I'm on this or after I've returned from Oz?
My boss keeps offering me keep me on one day a week, not very practical but could this affect my right to redundancy money?

Your holiday entitlements do not affect your dole payments.

If your boss keeps you on you're not being laid off so would not have a right to redundancy pay.

westsider said:
I was made redundant in May 2004 - I left for the US two days later and did not work while I was abroad. I returned to Ireland the following November and took myself off down to the local dole office once home. I signed on and was told that there is approx 6 (I think) weeks between redundancy and your entitlement to receive money (the perid of disqualification mentioned earlier). Even though I was not in the country during the period May to November (hence not looking for work) my claim was accepted from the date I applied i.e. they did not make me wait an additional 6 weeks. I would recommend you take a look at regarding the shortening of your working week though. HTH

The 6 weeks only apply if it is voluntary redundnacy (i.e. you volunteered as part of a programme rather than were given no choice).

If you were given no choice in the matter (i.e. company closing down or compulsory layoff) then you can sign on from day 1.

"The 6 weeks only apply if it is voluntary redundnacy (i.e. you volunteered as part of a programme rather than were given no choice).

If you were given no choice in the matter (i.e. company closing down or compulsory layoff) then you can sign on from day 1."

That's interesting lff12 - our redundancy situation was a full close-down situation (albeit that I was gone in the 1st phase 4 months before the final phase). The documentation I rec'd from my company clearly showed that it was a full close-down. The girl behind the counter in the social welfare office in Blanchardstown, although very polite, didn't seem to know what you have pointed out above. I have just been told that my present employer is also going to be closing down in a few months time - I will now make sure not to wait 6 weeks before signing on which is what I would have done after the last time!!

Back