Being forced back onto benefits.

C

carobrey

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm a a single mom and have worked full time since I left college 5 years ago. I however have found myself in a position where I can no longer work full time. The hours of my job are being changed to incorporate shifts that I cant do.. and along with paycuts I can no longer afford childcare for when I am working.

It's a huge blow to be honest. I love my job and always strived to make sure i could support myself and my son.

they wont entertain the idea of job sharing. I asked but they dont want the complications... its hard to explain but there are several shift rotations and they just think it'll be too messy. They're not the most sympathetic to my situation and just want people who can do the hours no matter what they are and with the least amount of hassle.

I of course will be willing to do some/any work I can find but i am aware of the difficulties of that at the moment... Anyway - i just dont know what the situation is re. mortgage payments and loans that I currently have. Of course there'll be no childcare costs but there's no way I could pay my mortgage and even interest on my loans are survive on, like 180e a week or whatever the payment is these days.

Anyway - I have a mortgage... and no savings. What are my options? I'm terrified I'm going to loose everything.

Re: Being forced back onto benifits.

If you find yourself unemployed then you may be eligible for Jobseeker's Benefit (JB)which is based on your PRSI contributions. Have a look the sticky post at the top of the Redundancy forum for more information on JB.

You may also be eligible for One Parent Family Payment, which is a means-tested payment.

In addition, you may be eligible for Mortgage Interest Supplement which is paid via the Community Welfare Officer at your local health centre. It's also means-tested.

Information on all of these schemes can be found at www.welfare.ie

I'm not clear on your exact situation from your original post. Am I correct in saying that your employer is changing both the hours in which you work and has also imposed paycuts?. If this is the case, and you have not agreed to both of these, then they are changing the terms and conditions of your employment without your agreement and this may give you grounds to bring a claim of unfair dismissal against your employer.

At this stage, I would not suggest you resign, instead I suggest you arrange an appointment at your local citizens advice bureau and see what they say.

Hi

It's a complicated situation. Basically when i started the job there were some shifts but I was excused from having to do them because the hours were outside the childcare hours etc etc that a friend used to do for me. She has since moved back to her parents home in Galway and so now I need fulltime childcare for my son which is Far more costly that what I used to pay her.

Now my job require me to do the shifts and i cant. Also we were asked to take a paycut a few weeks back and we all agreed but now I find myself unable to afford to pay for the childcare since I dont have the cheaper option of my friend available to me anymore so that I can remain in work. i've already built up a significant amount on my CC trying to make the costs every month and its starting to get out of hand.

Carobray you are not in a nice situation that's for sure. Can you try and do the money makeover section on this website so that we may try and give you some better financial advise. Sometimes when other people see your fianances they may spot something you have missed but for sure if you are subsidising your living expenses with a credit card then something has to give.

hello, i do not know if you were told previous to this but the situation you find yourself in is called constructive dismissal. it is where a company alters your work situation which makes it difficult for you to work under. it is illegal and many companies do it now a day to try and get employees to quit rather than to take redundency

Back