becoming self employed to self build

house

Hi all
I will be made redundant later in the year, so im planning on self building my house next year.
Would it be beneficial to become self-employed for the year to avail of cheaper labour & materials(no VAT) I know I would loose out on the dole for the year what is the other main disadvatages/advantagesWhat cost are involved in 1) setting my self up As bein self-employed? 2) winding down the business at the end of the self build?

You cannot claim back VAT on the construction of your own home. To be self-employed you must be trading and since your only project is your own house so I see no advantages in your proposal.

You cannot claim back VAT on the construction of your own home. To be self-employed you must be trading and since your only project is your own house so I see no advantages in your proposal.
or to put it another way: No, they've thought of that.

i dont think it worth the hassle if you could do it, just draw the dole,build the house and pay the vat! my advice for what its worth.

Equally unlawful and morally reprehensible. Whether 'self employed' or simply unavailable for work, OP will not be entitled to draw if he is engaged full time in a direct labour construction project.

Equally unlawful and morally reprehensible. Whether 'self employed' or simply unavailable for work, OP will not be entitled to draw if he is engaged full time in a direct labour construction project.
+1
Stealing from the people of Ireland, through VAT fraud or welfare fraud, is still stealing.

Back