BBC Free to Air.

S

sueellen

Today is a big day;

From today BBC stations are "Free to air" (not to be confused with Freeview- a UK only product)
You can now purchase a digital satellite decoder and dish and receive BBC stations (plus euronews, CNN and others) without subscription payments. The price is €299 plus about €120 for installation.

This is a brilliant alternative to NTL/Sky and allows multi-channel and digital viewing at an reasonable price. Some accurate information can be found here;

[broken link removed]

and there are plenty of satellite discussions forums which covers the intricate details...

www.boards.ie

PS I have vested interest as an independent TV retailer and as such I see this as a really good deal. At last an alternative!

BBC Free to Air

Buzz

I have a Sky dish (for Sports) but also have NTL's basic package for viewing in a second room. I assume the dish will pick up the BBC's free to air channels if I buy a viewing card? or would I have to but a second dish & point in in a different direction to where the sky dish is facing?
Can I get Free to air in more than 1 room
Thanks

bbc free to air

LiamG,

You have a few choices depending on what you want. Your Sky package already has the BBC stations, (family Pack) and you can also program it to receive the additional regional stations, no need for any card or changes to the dish.

Check out this link;
[broken link removed]

Finally, free to air is multi-room viewing. But not multi-room & multi channel because whatever station is selected on the decoder is shown in the second room (or third or whatever) The decoder can only show one station at a time.

Note: RTE is not on the Free to Air system and you'll need a sky subscription or traditional aerial in the attic to receive this Irish stations.

Re: bbc free to air

Note: RTE is not on the Free to Air system and you'll need a sky subscription or traditional aerial in the attic to receive this Irish stations.

I thought that Irish terrestrial broadcasts (RTE1, NET2, TV3, TG4) could generally be received with a simple set top "rabbit ears" aerial in most areas?

bbc free to air

Clubman,

Yes of course a rabbits ears will do the job where the signal is strong. In rural parts however, the signals are usually only strong enough to power a portable TV and the picture falls off on larger TV screens. (better signal quality required)

RTE have really missed the boat on this free to air platform and are stuck with Sky till 2007 (as I recall). From a taxpayers viewpoint its a scandal that I have to pay Sky to get digital quality reception and yet RTE continues to persue the terrestrial digital option wasting our money on a dead project. IMO

Re: BBC Free to Air

Originally posted by MegaByte:

am in north of Donegal,can I get these stations with the Receiver and dish.Will I still get the other channels RTE,RTE2 channel etc with the areal I have.
If I buy the Box and Dish for the one of price is this hard to install or will a local T V person install it for you??
Or do you have to go through him for the set up.
Lastly can the plug be pulled on this say can the government block this at a later stage?

BBC Free to Air

Seeing club man has moved my question to the end of the postings can anybody give an answer to my question.
I have looked at the web site for the dish and box and it is 219 +21%vat.

Re: BBC Free to Air

do you need a tv licence for free to air channels only?

bbc free to air

Megabyte;
The satellite signal can be received anywhere in Ireland (and UK of course!), I have no idea what your existing aerial is like, but if you already getting the Irish channels on it, then there will be no change.
The installation has to be done by somebody who knows what they are doing and requires specific equipment. It's not a DIY job, but you can buy the equipment anywhere and get anybody you want to install it...there are no restrictions on this.
Lastly, the Irish Gov has nothing to do with these transmissions, it is purely a BBC decision to transmit and Ireland happens to fall within the signal area.

do you need a tv licence for free to air channels only?

Yes you need a licence for the TV, regardless of what you are watching.

BBC Free To Air

Hi,
Is it possible that the free to air option can be reversed in the future and a monthly charge be put in place ?

bbc free to air

DAC,

Anything is possible. But for a mega company like BBC to make this move, its not likely to be temporary. In any case, whats the risk...the total cost of buying and installing FTA is fairly modest, particularly if you spread it over a few years viewing.

BBC free to air

This is the list on the bbc website of free to air channels ,
Are these the channels we get in ireland ?
Who do i contact to get this done ?
BBC Channels
BBC ONE
BBC TWO
BBC THREE
BBC FOUR
CBBC
CBeebies
BBC News 24
BBC Parliament

+BBC Interactive TV

+BBC Digital Radio