Banks Looking to repossess/appoint receiver Investment Properties with cheap trackers

Longford

Here goes,

Over the past 5 years I have been I have been working with my bank to continue paying mortgages on my investment properties, I am on tracker rates and have been paying a little princapal plus interest each month. The follow advice would be appreciated.
1. When I was sold the mortgages 10 years ago I was lead to believe I could continue to extend interest only indefinitely. I feel I was misold these mortgages ( I originally took mortgages with first active and they are now with UB)
2. If the banks are to repossess my propertys how long does it take, if I decide not to hand them back voluntary, can the whole thing be dragged out
3. How long does it take for bank to appoint a receiver
4. Can anyone recommend a solicitor who deals with these issues in case I have to go to court to fight my case

Many thanks for any advice given

Last edited:
1. When I was sold the mortgages 10 years ago I was lead to believe I could continue to extend interest only indefinitely. I feel I was misold these mortgages ( I originally took mortgages with first active and they are now with UB)

Whether it was said with good intentions at the time, or with intention to pull a fast one, neither can ever be proven. There are lots of cases like your situation, including some I can think of that have since gone into Receivership. Sorry to have to tell you this, but if it's not very clearly spelt out in writing that you can continue interest only indefinitely, then forget it.

2. If the banks are to repossess my properties how long does it take, if I decide not to hand them back voluntary, can the whole thing be dragged out

If they have the power to appoint a receiver and all documentation is in order, then it can happen in a matter of a day or two, once the final decision is made. If not, the lender has to go to court and get a ruling to take possession of the property, so that's down to the timing in getting into court and having the case heard.

Handing properties back voluntary is an entirely different matter. Banks often ask borrowers to do this to help save costs, speed up the process and sometimes for strategic reasons, such as if they have an issue with paperwork and can't appoint a Receiver without going to court. Depending on the circumstances, it is sometimes possible to agree a voluntary surrender in return for full and final settlement (i.e. they don't come after you for any shortfall, if there is negative equity) - obviously this has to be obtained in writing though.

Do the properties have equity in them, or is there another good reason to retain them, or try to drag things out, despite the related level of debt ? If yes, then can they be sold to pay off the debt and leave you with some cash, or refinanced perhaps ? If not, then why would you want to delay the process (and perhaps risk running up additional costs for yourself as a result) ?

3. How long does it take for bank to appoint a receiver

Assuming the lender's paperwork is all in order, then a receiver can be appointed very quickly once the decision is made (i.e. in a day or two). You can expect to receive a demand letter, calling for full repayment of all capital & interest shortly before the receiver goes in to take possession of the properties. I've seen demand letters issued and a receiver appointed 24 hours later, to give you an example but it's down to the efficiency of the institution really.

4. Can anyone recommend a solicitor who deals with these issues in case I have to go to court to fight my case

Depends on the circumstances, as to whether a law firm might want to take on your case. Some of the law firms will have conflicts of interest as they may do work for the banks or other funds, but two Dublin firms that come to mind are: Kane Tuohy Solicitors or HJ Ward & Co. I know both of these firms have represented other borrowers when in dispute with their lenders.

Before you go the legal route, I would first see if there is an alternative solution to your problem. If something can be negotiated, it will be cheaper and faster than going the legal route. If you are not experienced with the banking processes, then get someone who is, to assist you.

Last edited:
Hi Longford , in order to determine if your bank has the power to appoint receivers you must first request this documentation from them.

1. All copies of debenture.
2. All copies of security.
3. Deeds of mortgage.

Then refer to Mr.Earls solicitor recommendation to examine these papers.

As stated above receivers can be appointed immediately so you probably will have no option but negotiate if they have the power to appoint.

The I.M.H.O. are experts in this field , i strongly recommend that you make contact with them.

I strongly recommend that you complete the following so that you can get comprehensive answers:

Information required for mortgage arrears and negative equity questions

They probably have the power to appoint receivers and when they do so, it will be completely out of your control.

As you have tracker mortgages, these are extremely profitable. In fact, in most case, the rent should be covering the full repayment to the bank. Why are you paying only "a little principal."?

If you have positive equity in one of the properties or your home, it may be worth selling it to retain the other investment properties as long as possible.

By all means get a solicitor to look at the documents to see if they can appoint a receiver. But in cases like this if you want to get someone to negotiate on your behalf, the right person is someone like Jim Stafford or some other PIP.

Brendan

Many thanks to every who took the time to reply.
The investment properties are currently worth about 670k and amount owed is 764k Why I was trying to drag it out is because 14% increase in value would clear the outstanding mortgages. I will update forum when I get more news

Do you have equity in your home?

The main reason for dragging it out should be the very low interest rates, even if property values don't change.

Brendan

Do you have equity in your home?

The main reason for dragging it out should be the very low interest rates, even if property values don't change.

Brendan

Hello Mr. Burgess,

While I understand your logic of trying to retain the cheap borrowing, I am not sure if I agree with the principal of increasing the debt on the home to cover the shortfall here.

There is the point about protecting the castle, to consider - can Longford successfully raise additional debt on the residence at "normal" homeloan rates, does it make sense to increase the risk on the residence to introduce equity into the investment properties, when it may make more sense to try and cut a deal, then sell them on ?

Longford,

With due respect, you are hoping for 14% increase in property values to get you "out of jail" on the current problems, but you are not considering the fact that this may take a few years, is not guaranteed, assumes that you can continue to cover loan interest and any other additional charges that may be applied, won't be impacted by future changes in taxation etc.

If you were lucky enough to get to the stage where you got back to 100% Loan to Value (and I'm not saying it's impossible btw), is there subsequent logic for keeping these properties and if so, what is it ? Would the rental income then be sufficient to cover the loan repayments, or could you then afford to cover repayments by supplementing the rental income from other sources in say 2-3 years time and if so, why then and not now ?

Personally, I would be slow to increase risk on the family home and do some serious soul searching in terms of what you really want to get out of these investment properties, which you currently cannot afford to make loan repayments on etc. Nothing personal, but try and step back a little from the personal attachment to the properties and ask yourself the hard questions - if you were considering buying them for the first time, with the current level of debt, repayments and their current value. Does it then make sense ?

Do whatever you can to keep receivers out because once they are in the only interest they have is in running down business to get quick sale . They are completely working in interest of bank in helping asset strip

This is why you need to provide all the information asked for and not have it dragged from you bit by bit.

If the banks appoint receivers, you will lose your very low trackers and you will end up with a residual debt of probably around €200k. They will get a judgement for that and register it as a judgement mortgage against your home.

If you sell your home, the equity might enable you to retain these investments and your solvency.

Brendan

im with you Longford , you will be in positive equity within one year , its all about supply and demand.

if you ask for the information i suggested it will take them about 2 months to acquire it , so you are now into 2018.

Let's be very clear here. If the documentation gives them the power to appoint a Receiver, as it probably does, then Longford is in real danger of losing everything at short notice.

This is not like a family home court proceedings which can be played for 5 years.

The Receiver could go in tomorrow. Asking for information does not delay that. In fact, it could precipitate it.

Brendan

Keep out the deceiver if at all possible the secrecy and decisions taken on your behalf will baffle. Asset stripping. I wonder how many properties get back to owner once receiver appointed?

im with you Longford , you will be in positive equity within one year , its all about supply and demand.

if you ask for the information i suggested it will take them about 2 months to acquire it , so you are now into 2018.

Hello,

You seem to be very quick to jump to a conclusion here....

• Do you know where the properties are and what demand is like for properties in that location ?
  • Do you know what condition they are in and what maintenance or potential structural issues there may be ?
  • Do you know whether or not there are any onerous conditions which may counteract potential property price inflation for these particular assets (i.e. a long term sitting tenant with a life long rent on a particularly low rent for example) ?

.. .the list of questions go on.

You either know a hell of a lot more about Longford's situation then the rest of us, or you are not giving good advice here - instead, just taking a flutter based on your view of what is going to happen in the property market.

As for the information you have suggested that Longford request....
  • How do you know that Longford will know specifically what to look for when that documentation is provided (no offence Longford :)) ?
  • How do you know that it will take as long as you suggest to provide the documentation (if you request it via a Data Access Request the party has up to 40 working days from receipt of cheque and written request - but that does not mean they can't provide it in 3-5 days if they wish) ?
  • How do you know that requesting such informaiton will prohibit the counter-party from appointing a receiver, while separately providing copy of the documentation requested ? A request for information or copy of documentation does not prohibit other action being taken, including the appointment of a receiver.

im with you Longford .....

Are you really with Longford, or just encouraging Longford based on a personal view, without knowing the facts and having absolutely nothing to lose, so you can walk away leaving Longford to deal with the mess ?

Last edited:
This is why you need to provide all the information asked for and not have it dragged from you bit by bit.

If the banks appoint receivers, you will lose your very low trackers and you will end up with a residual debt of probably around €200k. They will get a judgement for that and register it as a judgement mortgage against your home.

If you sell your home, the equity might enable you to retain these investments and your solvency.

Brendan

It may also be possible to negotiate an alternative settlement, has this been properly explored ? I am not sure from what Longford has told us on this thread, that it has ?

It may further be the case that the borrower may be unable to obtain additional debt on their home due to lack of ability to service that debt, or a poor credit record. I do not think we know the circumstances here to be fair Mr. Burgress ?

A large number of people obtained interest only mortgages on investment properties years ago, who were unable to cover capital repayments and instead relied on future hope value, or anticipated future increases in incomes which then failed to materialise. Both borrowers and banks were very wrong to have entered into these arrangements, unless it was specifically for long term interest only arrangements with no personal recourse in the event of a loss on the deal. We need to see what Longford's personal circumstances are here, before we can suggest using the equity on the personal home.

We don't know if the investment properties are better than the home and worth retaining ahead of the home. Would one of the investments be suitable as an alternative family home, if the existing home was sold to discharge debt on the investment property/properties ?

I do not think we know the circumstances here to be fair Mr. Burgress ?

Which is why I said in my very first reply :

I strongly recommend that you complete the following so that you can get comprehensive answers:

Information required for mortgage arrears and negative equity questions

It may further be the case that the borrower may be unable to obtain additional debt on their home due to lack of ability to service that debt, or a poor credit record.

I would expect that is the case, so he should explore selling it. It may not be the right solution, but it might enable him to remain solvent and keep his excellent investments.

Brendan

....his excellent investments.

Brendan

Appreciate the other points made, but do we know if they are "excellent" investments ?

A good loan rate is an important factor, but I'm sure you will appreciate that there are other important factors to consider and at the moment, we don't know the full information :)

Longford is perfectly entitled to request debenture documentation in order to make an informed decision of such magnitude concerning his future / pension.

To the best of my knowledge ( and I stand to be corrected ) no lender has appointed receivers if full interest and partial capital is being repaid.

The bank will bully , torment and threaten like Gestapo officers but they will continue to negotiate once this repayment level continues.

Hi All.

Just got in from work

I dont want to sell or release equity from my home (anyway I would not get mortgage). As this is gone over my head. The properties are in Dublin and getting good rent. 2 appartments and 1 house. These properties have been rented for the past 10 years so probably not in great condition. Im on .75% over ecb rate

I have a permanent job with gross income around 50k

Back