Banks announce 3 month payment holiday for those impacted by Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politicians and the Central Bank. The devil is always in the detail!

Politicians 18 Mar 2020 press release taken from the first item of this thread
Implement a payment break up to three months for business and personal customers affected by Covid-19, to be followed by ongoing reviews depending on the scale and extent of the situation
This, to me, reads as inclusive meaning ALL business and personal customers. YMMV.

Central Bank Press Release 19 March 2020
Recent decisions by the Central Bank, also as part of the Eurosystem and Single Supervisory Mechanisms, are designed to ensure monetary and financial stability and that the financial system operates in the best interests of consumers and the wider economy. These include wide ranging measures such as the launch of a €750bn Pandemic Emergency Purchase Programme yesterday, temporary capital and operational relief to banks across the Eurozone, and the release the Counter Cyclical Capital Buffer (CCyB) from 1% to 0%.

In order to ensure that the benefit of these measures are passed on to households and businesses, the Central Bank today met with the Banking & Payments Federation Ireland (BPFI) and five retail banks1 to discuss these and other issues.
During this constructive meeting, both the Central Bank and the BPFI agreed that there is no impediment to the banks introducing a 3-month Covid-19 payment break for those affected by the pandemic.

This, to me, reads as inclusive meaning ALL business and personal customers. YMMV.

Central Bank Press Release 19 March 2020 .continued
Payment moratoria
Banks will introduce three-month payment moratoria on mortgages, and personal and business loans for some business and personal customers affected by COVID-19.

This, to me, reads as the banks deciding who will receive their largesse. YMMV.

John

After listening to the Joe Duffy show the other day I'd have zero faith in banks to do anything for anyone except themselves.
I hope i'm wrong.

Banks set out joint plan to support businesses and personal customers impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic
Wednesday 18th March 2020 -
now.
Hi Brendan,
I don't want to quote the complete post but wanted to ask where this text came from. It really does not relate well to the press release dated 18 March on the Dept of Finance website. [Incidentally this release is tagged as BETA - not sure if its the release is beta or the format!]
John

You are of course, absolutely correct. This is all a massive plan by the banks to earn more interest... The banks would have been much better doing nothing. Let customers loose sleep over how they're going to pay their mortgage and put food on the table, go into arrears, screw up their credit ratings, and then force thousands of customers into providing financial statements and working out restructuring arrangements in 6 months time.

That would served people much better, wouldn't it?
:rolleyes: Please resist misrepresenting my viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back