Bank Transfer to Germany

Novice

Hi,

I recently purchased something on Ebay and the method of payment is through bank Transfer.

Basically I have to lodge a payment to a German account. The amount is small - only €40.

Does anyone know the best way to do this ?

Thanks.

Once you have the IBAN and BIC/Swift code for the receiving account, your own Bank here will do it for the cost of an ordinary domestic transfer (€0.50/€1.00, depending on your bank).

but be aware that using this cheap option (takes a few days) you can't quote a reference for the seller . They only allow you quote a reference (which is sorta handy isint it!) if you pay the Eur30 same day service. Typical!

I'm not sure whom 'they' refers to, in podgerodge's post (any more than I know who Novice's bank is...)

But I've made several similar transfers through BoI and NIB, and - while admittedly they take 3-4 days to go - they certainly provide a 'narrative' section allowing the sender to include a reference for the receiving party (eg: 'eBay item #12345678')

I transferred to France recently, cost only 20c I think with AIB, but it took 6 days. They said they couldn't guarantee any particular time and that it can take up to 6 days. And yes, you can't quote a reference which can be a problem.

Interesting, I'm with AIB as well and no allowance for reference. Surprised to hear that BOI will allow it as AIB told me the reason you can't put a reference in is because they use a SWIFT electronic payment MT103+, the + being an automated and non manual solution to the ordinary 103 - therefore not allowing the entering of individual narratives.....?

Back