Bank of Ireland phising (fame email) scam

Bootdog

Got the message below today:

Dear Bank of Ireland Customer,

We find that some of our members no longer have access to their email addresses. As result Bank of Ireland server
sent this letter to verify e-mail addresses of our clients. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
below and entering in the small window your Bank of Ireland online access details:

<<link was included, and went to http://www.365online.com/[rest of link deleted]>>

Is this a version of the recent scam that has been going around? I got it on an email address that I don't get any spam on, and that I don't publicise, so it did appear to be somewhat genuine. I did get the odd virus in the past from people who had me in their address book, but thats about it.

I clicked on the link to see what happened, but all I got (using Firefox) was that [rest of link - see above] could not be found. There was no mention of the 365online.com bit in the error message.

Re: SCAM? "Bank of Ireland : your email"

It's a [broken link removed]. You should probably give them a call if you clicked on that link - even if nothing seemed to happen...:(

Latest NewsFraudulent Email Alert from Bank of Ireland

20-May-05

Bank of Ireland wishes to alert its customers to ignore any emails they may have received from a source purporting to be Bank of Ireland or www.365online.com.

The Bank has discovered that a number of our customers and non-customers have received emails today directing them to a website posing as its personal banking online service, www.365online.com. The email directs the recipient to a website where they are asked to input personal banking information.

Bank of Ireland never requests customer information in this manner and strongly warns customers to ignore them. Under no circumstance should anyone logon to this spurious site or enter any details.

Bank of Ireland confirms that none of its systems have been compromised and that there has been no security breach of any Bank of Ireland website.

Should any customer have innocently responded to one of these emails they should contact Bank of Ireland immediately at 1890 365 365 or from outside ROI at +353 1 4622365.

Got one this morning as well, not even a BoI customer..........Got Barclays email as well recently.......

Even worse, I saw a Pharming attempt last week, very very nasty !!!!

i got one today. asking for all my bank details, pin everything. so convincing. links back to the bank of ireland website and everything.
i tried ringing bank of Ireland but was on hold for over 40 mins and ended up hanging up. i emailed it onto them then. with a request to email or ring me back but havn't heard anything yet.

tonka said:
Even worse, I saw a Pharming attempt last week, very very nasty !!!!
This type or this type?
i got one today. asking for all my bank details, pin everything. so convincing. links back to the bank of ireland website and everything.
i tried ringing bank of Ireland but was on hold for over 40 mins and ended up hanging up. i emailed it onto them then. with a request to email or ring me back but havn't heard anything yet.
A colleague received on on Friday. He received it in Outlook and there doesn't seem to be an easy to view the raw text of the message unlike in Outlook Express and other email clients. The clue was when he moved the pointer over the link it exposed the URL which looked dodgy and not an official bank one.

Back