Bank not paying invoices for services rendered.

Lobby

Hi,

About 2 yrs ago, a particular bank (I won't name them) asked me to organise a locksmith to have locks changed on a house (voluntary repossession). As an EA I would then be asked to value the property and then place it on the market. My charges for the valuation and the property sale would be paid when the place eventually sells. No problems there.

However, I instructed a locksmith to change the locks, for which I was billed by the locksmith, and I subsequently paid this invoice.

Despite sending my invoice to the bank so I could be reimbursed for incurring these charges I have yet to receive payment.

After many phone calls asking for the invoice to be resent (which I did), some months ago they insisted that they be given copies of the locksmiths invoices (which I also sent them). Now, it transpires they require the originals of the locksmiths invoices. This is the first time in 2 years anyone has ever told me this, and it is from a call I placed to them, they have never called me once in relation to these invoices.

Are they entitled to request the originals?

I have no problem sending them, other than my auditor will require me to have them in my accounts so the bank must return them to me.

At this stage I just feel they keep moving the goal posts to avoid paying and am reluctant to keep acceding to their requests.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Why not do what they are doing to hard pressed borrowers? Call them constantly, then ask them to do up a full report as to how they are going to repay the money and give a breakdown of how they are spending all their money daily & finally tell them you can't help and they'll have to move out of their premises - see how they like it..

This is mere brinkmanship on their part.
The next game will be to ask if you sought competitive prices.
Depending on the amount tell them you are going to take them to -

- the small claims court <€2,000

OR

- the District Court <€6,300

Check the limits but I think they're reasonable accurate.
This is where the banks are taking people for mortgage arrears.

Hi Lobby

Ignore the conspiracy theories.

This is just plan maladministration by the bank. It's very difficult to get around. You have to find some enthusiastic person who will take the problem by the scruff of the neck and beat through the bureaucracy to sort it out.

Send them the originals. Your auditor will understand.

Brendan

After posting the above, I got a bit annoyed about the banks attitude.

So I wrote them a snotty letter (but polite) and outlined the dates etc. and their continually changing requirements for the invoices to be paid.

I just received an email this morning, saying that on this occasion they will pay the outstanding invoices, but in future the locksmiths invoice must be forwarded to them and they will issue a cheque to the locksmith, but posted to me. I'm OK with this now that they have finally defined the procedure. And as long as the locksmith is OK with the bank paying them directly, then thats fine by me too.

So hopefully all sorted.

Except you now need to add a claim for your time in chasing up payment. If you have to go to the hassle of organising a locksmith, I would expect there to be some payment for your time.

Back