bank charges - Question which bank offers less

C

caroerin

For the first time since I am with Ulster bank, I am paying bank charges as they have change their policies, you now need to maintain a balance of EUR 500.00 at all time to avail free banking.
I am considerating to change bank for this reason, I have always been in credit but cannot manage most of the time to maintain EUR 500.00.
Any idea which bank offer the best advantages ?

Thanks

Bank Charges

Check out IFSRA's current account cost survey - it shows which banks give free banking as long as your account is not overdrawn. Think only NIB do now.......

NIB

Their free account is called Freebank Current Account. No transaction fees as long as you stay in credit. But not sure if their internet/phone banking is up to much...........

Re: NIB

But not sure if their internet/phone banking is up to much...........
Both are excellent. Their internet banking allows you to set up 3rd party payees directly without having to call their customer service team (unlike AIB).

security?

That sounds very handy, but is it not a bit of a security risk?

i.e. without this feature, all that someone with access to your online/phone details could do maliciously would be to overpay your bills.

Re: security?

i.e. without this feature, all that someone with access to your online/phone details could do maliciously would be to overpay your bills.
Or they could ring up the customer service team, add themselves as a new payee, and transfer funds to themselves.

It is less risky than leaving your cheque book around your house.

First Active.

I will certainly be moving from First Active when my SSIA matures. This company decided to effectively close down their branch banking facilities to customers mid stream. I can no longer lodge cash or get cash in branch. I have to make a cheque lodgment and leave it in a metal box in the office. If I want my passbook updated I have to call back the next day or later. No doubt I will be receiving a nice letter as my SSIA matures offering me the sun, moon and stars. Well First Active - you won't be keeping it!

Ulster Bank

Isn't the Ulster Bank decesion a disgrace. Such bad business as well as they were identified as one of the few of the big banks still offering charge free banking. Can askaboutmoney faclitate an online campaign to get decesion reversed.

BTW I didn't recall getting a letter about it and rang them (well actually sent a fax to the branch as you can't talk directly to your branch anymore) and the agreed to refund charges!!

Will still be looking at an alternative, what progress on IFSRA scheme to make changing easier

NIB Freebank

I am an NIB Freebank customer for 10 years and find them absolutely fine. The internet banking is fine - I haven't used any other so I have nothing to compare against but it suits my needs perfectly. You just have to keep your account in credit - there is no limit. Of course they hit you hard if you go overdrawn.
Also on NIB - I was shopping around for a car loan recently. Went on Best Buys and Ryanair[GE Woodchester] was recommended. Got a quote and then decided to ring NIB to see if they were competitive. They came €10 per month cheaper meaning I would save €600 over the term of the loan.

Back