Bali

S

sinead76

Just booked a few days in Bali for the return leg of my Australia trip. Anyone ever been? Where would the best area to stay in be?

Depends on what you are after.

Kuta beach (just north of the airport) is the main "resort area" with the largest amount of cheap accomodation, bars etc. If you're looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun, beach break then head for here .. it's supposed to have the best beach on the island too.

If you want to splash out a bit on a fancy resort there are loads to choose from .. most are in Sanur (on the South East Cost ) or Nusa Dua (at the very southern tip of the island).. I think you can find some really fancy places and (certainly used to be the case in not so busy periods) you can get some great deals if you just turn up and haggle. Be warned though while many of these places are lovely they are the kind of place you would not leave for the week or whatever - quite in the middle of nowhere with not a lot of stuff around them ... not my cup of tea but many people like it.

What I liked best was inland up in the hills ... Ubud was a very nice town with good range of accomodation and plenty of things to do ... I certainly preferred this to the beach resorty places .. but it's a question of what you're after - don't go here if you want to lie on the beach (it's a good distance from the beach)

[broken link removed] is a pretty good site

... lovely place ... don't expect much by way of roads or transport ... lunatics on mopeds from what I remember. The food is fantastic ... and the beaches are amazing ... yes Kuta is great fun ... lively and americanised ... the Hard Rock cafe have a hotel there ... lots of surfers. We stayed in Nusa Dua which is quiet ... beaches were okay ... the hotels are fabulous and reasonably priced. It's quite a distance to travel inland to Ubud ... but worth the trip ... you can buy lots of teak furniture for next to nothing ... there are shops everywhere selling it.
Enjoy your stay.

I wouldn't buy teak furniture - its the same as buying coral in other places - the teak is taken from precious indonesian rainforests that are being destroyed at a shocking rate, and can never be replaced. Don't add to the destruction by buying cheap, often illegally cut, wood products.

Back