Bad debts - can I sue without a solicitor?

Have a look at experian web site, I think they provide a cheap service ($50) and has a good success rate.

Hi Billythefish,
What was the debt for, and did the debtor give another specific reason for not wanting to pay You?

The debt was for professional services. He never gave a reason why he didn't want to pay. He just kept promising payment and never delivered....

I've been trying to find a link but i cant, maybe someone else will be able to.

Someone posted about being owed money and wanted to know if legally he could stand outside thier premises/home and wave a huge sign saying "bills not paid" or something like that anyway.

A few people came up with ideas on what to do or what they have done in the past, very funny to read and they got results from it as well.

Maybe you could try this approach of course not breaking the law. Embarrassment have have a great effect when it comes to other people knowing your business.

Small claims doesn't deal with commercial transactions unfortunately. There is definitely room for a mini-Commercial Court in Ireland.
Just in the last few days the Small Firms Association have called for the establishment of a Small Claims Court for businesses as small businesses are being strangled by late payments.

This can't come soon enough and I hope they have sufficient lobbying power to get the powers that be to set up this facility.

We are a small company struggling with cash flow as large clients who are perfectly capable of paying are withholding payment for up to 12 months in one case.

We've had to hand the case to our solicitor and no doubt they'll settle before it gets to court and we'll still be left to pay the solicitor's fees!

I won't mention any names, but the owner of this business drives a Bentley, lives in a mansion and has a helicopter! This makes it even more galling that they refuse to pay for services supplied a year ago.

What about Intrum Justica? They follow small payments on behalf of Eircom, less than €100 in a lot of cases and have the power to effect your credit rating or something along those lines. Even if you did not get your money from a client, at least you would have succeeded in hurting them by effecting their credit rating.

I know of a large company that when it's the time for the end of quarterly accounts deliberately does not pay it's suppliers and other invoices.

Back