Bad Debt....making up for 20year old me!

ciksfoz

Hi,

I have recently returned home to Ireland after 7 years away.

I wont go into the details to much, but before I left in 2011 I applied for a credit card (Bank of Ireland)
I think I may spent have 700euro max back in 2011/2012 on it, that was never paid off. I'm not sure if my account has been active this whole time incurring fees. I never used that account or bank again and I have not received anything from them in years, so I hoped the account had been closed.

I recently went to take a small credit union loan to help with college fees and was told there was a mark on my credit score (creditcard it seemed). I was hoping this CU loan would help bring my credit score up but now I am worried that this old debt is still active.

I was under the impression that after 7 years your bad debt can be wiped and I am afraid to call the bank in question incase it was to reactivate my debt, if that is even possible. I would love to get it sorted this year and start from scratch as I am ashamed of it, but I need to know the best way to go about it first.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Can't believe they didn't close the account when you stopped paying. Have you thought about taking a case under the Consumer Protection Act?From what I remember there is a section re offering protection to people who run up credit card debts before leaving the Country only to find that not paying the debt has left a mark on their record. It is so unfair. Banks in this Country are ridiculous. They lend money and then expect people to pay it back. Talk about a messed up business model. If that doesn't work, you could ask the Credit Union to lend you the money and offer them your passport and sign in at at your local credit union every day until the debt is paid.

Man up and clear your debt. It will still take 5 years for your CCR record to right itself and you have zero chance of getting a mortgage or car finance during this time.