Backdating an error in Jobseekers Allowance.

little feat

I've been on JA for two years and it hasn't been easy, in fact I've got into substantial debt in that time. This week I discovered I've been underpaid all along as I should have been receiving an extra €29 pw for our one child which the department has no record of on my claim. I know I filled out the initial application correctly and the fault is theirs yet they say the loss cannot be backdated. What can I do?

AFAIK there is legislation in place which rules out backdating any SW payment for more than 6 months regardless of circumstances (this is what my friend was told when his JSA was backdated 6 months).

They should, and presumably are, backdating the payment for the 6 months, but with regard to the earlier period I believe it doesn't matter whose fault it was.

Sorry to bear bad news.

They should have a copy of your application on file. I think I would request to obtain that copy. Perhaps you may have a case if the error was theirs as this error would have occurred before the 6 months rule.

Have just been looking for that 6 months rule mentioned and from my search it applies only to State Pensions and comes into effect in April 2012

Back