Backdated Rent Relief

apd

Hi,

Does anyone know if you have been paying rent at home to your parents, for say the last 6 years since leaving school can you claim the rental tax credits back?

Thanks

dont see any reason why not although i think there is a rule with regard to how far back you can go i think its 4 or 5 years

bazermc said:
dont see any reason why not although i think there is a rule with regard to how far back you can go i think its 4 or 5 years

Would the parents not have to of been declaring the rent income?

4 years is the maximum period for which you can backdate tax claims these days.

if a child living at home were to claim rent relief for the past number of years, what would be the position of parents who are PAYE workers who have never filed a self assement form and therefore have not declared rent recieved from a child at home, even though it is below the maximum allowable.

would there be problems with the revenue dept?

there could be problems alright!!!

you have to declare/return your rental income received should you wish to avail of rent a room relief notwithstanding the fact there is no tax liability

the legislation dealing with this relief treats the rent received as being nil provided its below the threshold of €7,620, therefore it would need to declared in the first place

secondly, its also worth noting that rent received above the threshold is taxable in full, you cannot just tax the excess over €7,620

Back