Backdate claim for social welfare benefit

B

bluemoon

Hi,

I have a question regarding back dating a claim for unemployment benefit. I have been unemployed since the middle of May and I recently applied to the department of social & family affairs for a late claim for unemployment benefit. I did not make a claim in May because I received incorrect information from another office (not a social welfare office).

My late claim allowance was refused because my claim was outside the 6 month’s limit and I had not shown that I met all the conditions for UB during that period. During this period, I had the necessary prsi contributions and was actively seeking work. (I was not called for interview or asked to give evidence that I was looking for work such as letters, job applications etc).

My question is should I apply again for back dating a claim from the middle of June which would make my claim within the 6 month limit and send in some documentation to show that I was looking for work during this period?

A lot of the time it's the reason you give for failing to make the claim earlier that is the issue. You must show "good cause" for failing to make your claim at an earlier stage, if you were misinformed by a friend etc. then that doesn't appear to be a sufficient excuse.

Back