Back Yard Access

S

sp-neighbor

I have a small narrow lot, I have lived here for over 13 years. I have always had access to my back yard until recently. My neighbor has always said we could use a few feet of his yard which is needed to get a car or lawnmower to the back yard. My neigbor recently gave a piece of his lot to his granddaughter, and she built a house. I even let the construction workers drive through my front yard to work on her house. My husband helped install her septic lines out of neighborlly kindness. Since the house has been built my old neighbor has repeatedly said that we would always have access to our back yard..... The day before Thanksgiving, the granddaughter put a storage shed, right in the middle of the lane used to access our back yard....

What can I do?,,,,,, My husband has tools and equipment needed for his work and he has to load it in the back of a truck. Now he cant get to it.
I am just floord by how inconsiderate they are. I have never done anything to them....
WHAT DO I DO?

I'm afraid you're posting in an Irish forum which is probably not much use to you - any advice or suggestions would be based on Irish law! I would suggest talking to your neighbour, checking that the granddaughter is aware of any agreement you have, and seeing if he's willing to intervene with her - and possibly quietly consulting a lawyer on any access rights you may have. Sounds like you may have a verbal contract, but as is often quoted in Ireland, "A verbal contract is only worth the paper it's written on"...

Good luck in resolving this.

Back