Back to work

Thoie

Hi all - I'd posted this on another forum and someone suggested that I should ask here -hope this is OK.

After being unemployed I finally found a new job. A couple of weeks before I started the job I phoned the SW office to let them know I'd found a job, the start date, and to ask what I needed to do. The guy on the phone took my PPS and other details, noted the start date and said that would be all I'd have to do. Payments stopped, thought everything was fine.

However I went on to the Revenue site to log Med1 and get a P21 for 2008 on Saturday, and got a message saying my DSFA income hadn't been updated and to phone a certain number. Spent my entire lunch time today phoning them, they said to phone the DFSA number, the DSFA said to phone the local branch... At that stage I'd run out of lunch break, so will have to phone the local branch tomorrow.

Logged on again tonight on the offchance that something might have happened during the day, to get a new message:
Due to the number of employments you have on file you are not allowed to Add or Amend any tax credits or incomes online.

Does this mean that the DSFA have stopped paying me, but haven't signed me off? The new company is pretty quick, so I'm sure they've probably registered me already, but I missed the December payroll so haven't actually been paid yet. Anyone else been in this situation before? Did it take long to get sorted? I'm loving my new job, but could do without the hassle of spending my lunch breaks on the phone :S

It appears that your SW income was not included in that P21 hence the reason that revenue cannot process your med 1. Revenue make sure that all taxes due are paid before refunding a med 1.
As you missed the December payroll is it likely that it will be paid in the January payroll with the Jan. pay which will form part of 2009 tax return

Well, I wasn't able to get a P21 either - and the local welfare office told me today that it would be updated "within 12 months". When I questioned his sanity he offered to send me all the details. Then I can post it to the Revenue. I suggested that maybe he could write the Revenue's address on the envelope. According to man-on-phone they have no dealings with the Revenue at all. Ever. Right.

Are you saying that if I don't send the form to Revenue myself, all the tax I'm owed from last year (not the medical expenses) will be added to my January salary? Because the impression I'm getting is that the Revenue have no idea what my SW income was last year.

Following more conversations with the Revenue, they do know I was claiming SW, but as far as they're concerned, I still am - SW hasn't notified them that I've stopped.

The latest suggestion is that I scan a whole pile of documents and email them to Revenue, and the money should be lodged to my account within 3 weeks.

Back