Baby sitting on Mother's lap in Front Passenger Seat

no problem, i wpuld like to know an update too, thanks , still in shock its an awful loss to everyone here

Sorry for the delay in replying but I was off on a long weekend.

I rang the Garda last night and they asked me to come in and make a statement. They also asked me would I be prepared to go to court and I said I would be. I said that I didn't want to be "wasting" police time if nothing could/would be done, (or my time for that matter) but they assured me that it absolutely would be followed up and appreciated me making the call.

I'll go to the station over the weekend and make a statement and as soon as i have further news, I'll be in touch.

Thanks

Well done Highly.
Bit of a pain to have to potentially go to court though.
A pity a 'quiet word' could not be had in the culprit's ear, to hopefully change their behaviour.
Nicola

Bit of a pain to have to potentially go to court though.
A pity a 'quiet word' could not be had in the culprit's ear, to hopefully change their behaviour.
It's a pain all right, but having to make a statement at the station and the threat of a court appearance is much more likely to be effective in changing behaviour that a telling off.

. . car has a a passenger airbag and if anyone had even clipped the back of the car, the airbag would have gone up and the child would have been killed instantly.
This is overly dramatic conjecture.
I rang the Garda last night and they asked me to come in and make a statement. They also asked me would I be prepared to go to court and I said I would be.
Yes the people were foolish, possibly oblivious to the dangers, but this shouldn't be a matter for the courts. The local Gardai should knock up to their house and have a chat with them.

I know from an immediate family member who had to deal with a deceased child on a professional level that the child died as a result of an accident when as a treat they had been let sit in the front, unrestrained, on someone's lap on the way to the local shop. The accident occurred at a very low speed (they rearended someone if memory serves) and whatever the toddler's head hit was fatal. It happened a long time ago now - possibly pre-airbag days.

A quiet word may still be had if deemed effective by those on the ground BUT when you can say the complainant has both made a statement and would be willing to appear as a witness you have a lot more weight with some people who may not actually change their behaviour just because you've told them they are putting someone's life in danger but might change their behaviour if they thought they may be prosecuted.

Highly,
I commend your actions. Not many people would be willing to follow this up and fewer still to go to court. It is interesting to learn of the Gardai's reaction. I doubt myself if it will go to court and I think the Gardai were only asking you to see (1) if you were serious about the complaint and (2) if it went that far would they have a witness because without you they've no case.
I suspect they will just give the parents a warning. Hopefully that will be enough to make them see sense.
FB

I've rang Trafficwatch a few times regarding seriously lethal manoeuvers on the road by other drivers. Twice, the driver has been taken to court & had a large fine & penalty points applied to their licence (they nearly killed us and the people in the car in front).

Normally, the gardai will call to the owner & have a chat initially after you've made your statement. The Superintendent then makes a decision about prosecuting the offending driver - sometimes they do, other times they dont. Either way, a visit from the local Gardai happens & in a lot of cases, is enough to knock some sense into the driver.

Yes the people were foolish, possibly oblivious to the dangers, but this shouldn't be a matter for the courts. The local Gardai should knock up to their house and have a chat with them.

What they did was not just foolish, it was illegal - both the illegal right turn and the unrestrained child. It is the responsibility of the driver of the car to ensure that all passangers under 18 are properly restrained.

This is overly dramatic conjecture.Yes the people were foolish, possibly oblivious to the dangers, but this shouldn't be a matter for the courts. The local Gardai should knock up to their house and have a chat with them.
not overly dramatic at all actually. most cars have a key to turn off the passenger airbag when carrying a childseat in the passnger seat. its widely known that airbags can kill a young child, thats why the car manufacturers supply a key to turn the airbag off.......

Yup i can understand why your blood would boil.I have 2 kids ages 8 and 3 and by god i strap them in well.Howevre in australia ,i read,there was a car with 3 adults and 1 child.the 3 adults had the seat belt on but the child didnt.

Guess what was using the 4th seat belt.A crate of beer. can you believe it.the child was sitting on the lap of one of the adults.police pulled the care over the drive was find 2000$$$$..

Back