Baby Car Seat

• Thread starter NathanielStarbuck
  • Start date
N

NathanielStarbuck

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a car seat for a 1yr old that is very easy to fit; I'm looking for a spare one that can be moved between two relative's cars easily. I have a GRACO in my own car, and it's fine, but it's really hard to fit each time.

Thanks

Would you get away with fitting a Graco autobase in each of the cars, so you can just click the seat into position every time?

Good idea, but the model I have doesn't have an autobase, so I'd have to buy two new ones...

Does anyone have an opinion on the Kompi car seat sold by Argos:

?

Have no direct experience of using this particular seat but looking at the picture I would have grave reservations.

When my 2 were using car seats we had a similar Britax version and it was considered to be for age group 4 to 11 years. Is it a misprint by Argos to say suitable for 9 months !! to 11 years. The seat belt appears to be far too high up for a younger child but it may be possible to lower the seat belt? Seems very cheap also?

I always found Tony Kealys in Walkinstown to be very helpful/informative if you are based in Dublin. They might be able to provide some help on the Graco system and let you know if the Kompi is suitable.

I know where you are coming from. To be honest you will probably need to get a seat for the next stage only and these are not the quickest to fit. You may be better off getting two. If you are planning more kids then the cost won't seem so bad.

Nogser

We just upgraded ours to a front facing one for 8 month and up baby. This is a brittax and very sturdy ( and big ) you wouldn't be moving it around much. €150 in Mothercare, but Smyths have them for €125 at the minute. I would definitely not put a child under 5 into that argos seat.

Hi rainy,
the down side of the "autobase" car seats is that it takes up space when when you need to carry adults. Also you dont have the same flexibiliy when fitting the seat into the second car or grannies car etc.

CarSeat Enthusiasts
There was a post here recently on the topic of car seats and how infuriating they are to fit properly. I'm never sure that my Britax is properly fitted. When your getting a car seat for a 1 one yearold get one that will do them until about age 5. Also get one that is comfortable on long journeys. Some car seat the little ones discover how to unclip themselves. Some car seats the staps get tangled and difficult to adjust and readjust. Some car seats are very difficult to keep clean.

A tip when fitting the standard britax type car seats. Climb into the car and face the seat. Fully extend the seat belt and ask some one else to hold it so it doesnt flip back. Now using both of your hands thread it through fully and clip it in. Now kneel with one knee into the seat pushing it fully forcefully back. Now with both hands (ask your partner to let go) and pull the seat belt tight while continuing to theread it through the various hoops. Step out of the car, check the car seat there should be little or no forward backward play.

Incidently I mentioned this before but the car seat in the National Car Test Brochure is incorectly fitted and quite dangerous.
ajapale

argus seat

I bought that seat from Argus for the 1 year old and it looked way too big for her. I will wait for her to grow into it but this will probably take another few years!

Back