B2B Online Software Provider - Charging VAT?

imaginethat

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the process of setting up a business. I will initially set up as a sole trader and eventually i will register as a limited company once the business starts to grow.

The business will be a software as a service (SaaS) platform which will provide businesses in both Ireland and abroad an ability to use cloud based software for their business in return for a monthly or annual payment to my company. It will be a B2B service only.

I understand that if I register as a sole trader that i am not obliged to register for VAT unless my turnover exceeds €37,500. So I'll take it that if I charge customers €20 a month for my software then i do not have to charge VAT, IF my turnover does not exceed €37,500?

Another scenario...I register for VAT at the same time I register the business. If a company registered in Ireland wants to use my software then I have to charge 23% VAT on top of the monthly €20 fee? However, if the business is not registered in Ireland then i do not charge VAT?

Thank you