Awaiting contracts- how long?

DarraghK1978

I’m in the process of purchasing a house and went sale agreed 5 weeks ago. Deposit was paid ASAP, everything mortgage-related has been completed on our side, valuation and survey have been carried out. All is in order.

However, we are still awaiting contracts from their solicitor. I last enquired a week ago and their agent made me feel like a bit of an idiot as he explained that their solicitor was still waiting on the bank to release the deeds. I don’t know what bank they are with.

Can anyone who has bought or sold a house lately give me an indication of approximately how long it took for vendors’ solicitor to receive the deed and issue contracts?

Thank you.

It took over 3 months for the seller's solicitor to receive the deeds for our purchase and he finally got them 2 weeks ago. The deeds were with Pepper. I believe it is very bank variable.

Solicitor applied for deeds from AIB on April 19th. Rang me today to say contracts are back from purchasers solicitor and we are signing on Friday.
Keys to be handed over two weeks from signing all being well...just under 9 weeks in total all being well

It varies from bank to bank as to how long they take to release the deeds to the solicitor, ideally the sellers would have requested them when they first put the house up for sale and not just when they went sale agreed. Recently on the sale of our house it took Ulster Bank less than 2 weeks to send them out, but on a previous sale and mortgage switches it took upwards of 4 weeks, with EBS being the slowest in my experience.

Hi @DarraghK1978 it varies from bank to bank and I know once you've gone sale agreed the subsequent process feels very slow. As others pointed out it varies between banks receiving title deeds. In my experience it goes anywhere from 8-16 weeks depending on the bank releasing title deeds and then the solicitor to do their due diligence.

You just have to play the waiting game and try not to stress and worry.

I last enquired a week ago and their agent made me feel like a bit of an idiot as he explained that their solicitor was still waiting on the bank to release the deeds.
No need to feel like an idiot. This happens all the time. If the bank is the seller (thru' repossession or whatever) it may take a while. I was waiting 6 months for my current abode but probably not the same scenario for you. I suggest you take advantage of the fact that you have your ducks in a row to have a look at other places and bid accordingly irf something tickles your fancy.

Back