Awaiting Appeal...Supplementary Welfare

Super-Why

Hi

I have been awaiting a decision on my appeal for One Parent Family payment since October 2008. I had my oral hearing in August and still waiting a decision. I was on a CE Scheme for the last year which has now finished, as I only got one year. I also do relief work, holidays and sick leave, part-time when i am needed, approx. 8 full weeks per year. So i am now in the situation where i have no income whatsoever.

I went to my local Community Welfare Officer and she basically divided the weeks I was working, (13 weeks , of which some were not full weeks) by the pay I received for the 13 weeks. That came to €380 per week. So she told me I am not entitled to any supplementary payment. I have been employed with that company since 2002 and was not called until May this year. So should my total pay for the year be divided by the current tax period, week 40? Which would give me an average of €135?

That aside, she blatantly said she did not believe me and my situation after meeting her for 5 minutes. I feel I dont want to go back to her as she was so rude. She didn't even take my application and said I wont get anything. I cannot live on nothing. I have 2 young children to raise and it costs money!

I have been onto appeals and they do not know how long it will take to get a decision. What am I to do?

Thanks for any advise

Are you available for work (apart from the hours you're called in)? You could sign for Jobseeker's Allowance.

Regarding the SWA claim, if you are unhappy with the treatment of your claim, you can (and should) contact the Superintendent CWO for your area and either write or ask to make an appointment to see him/her. Regardless of whether you qualify or not, you are entitled to apply and an application form should be taken from you.

Back