Aviva vaccination centre - why the long queues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I said that anyone I know who’s been vaccinated in the Aviva has had the same experience.
So it's been a feature of yours and your acquaintance's and some other people's experience. Many others have faced no such issue.

Why is there a rush whenever someone complains to basically accuse them of making something up or treating them like they have committed treason? I am not aware of anyone who said there were two hour delays at the Aviva every day but there have constant complaints about that venue that you haven't seen alsewhere.

The attitude that people should be grateful just to get vaccine is pretty pathetic if it means accepting that an elderly person should just accept two hours standing in the elements. People can be grateful for getting the vaccine while at the same time not expect to be treated like cattle even if it only happens infrequently. They are not mutually exclusive.

The OP made a very balanced post and yet one or two people have reacted like he has a hidden agenda....bizarre

The attitude that people should be grateful just to get vaccine is pretty pathetic if it means accepting that an elderly person should just accept two hours standing in the elements.

As a (reasonably) elderly person myself, I find that we're much more phlegmatic and philosophial about such minor things. In my experience it's the youngsters who tend to moan about everything that goes wrong.

That said, I was in a short queue (approx. 15 people), aged between 60 and 70 for my Covid jab last week and one of our number couldn't keep her mouth shut - constantly moaning about the delay (about 15 minutes from entry to being processed) and commenting on the advanced age of some of the older people in our little queue! So far as was possible, given the queueing constraints, everyone else completely ignored her and tried to give her as wide a berth as possible. It's such a shame that she wasn't assigned to the Aviva where she'd have been in her element with loads to complain about!

Attached is another photo taken just before 7pm this evening to add to the one I posted earlier. Again no long queue. This is what I've seen every day for the last two weeks since I was vaccinated except for two days when the queue was longer.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Knowing someone who is working in the Punchestown centre, a noticeable number of people pay no heed to their appointed time and just assume that they can turn up anytime after their allotted time.

This causes delays at certain times.

Maybe there should be and "incentive" to turn up within an hour of your schedule time. For example a separate queue that takes up to 2 hours to get you jabbed, thus ensuring all others are seen within 30 min of their allotted time.

I haven't read every post in this thread but I'm sure nobody thinks your telling porkies. You said that it took 2.5 hours and I'm sure it did, just as it did for a friend of mine. But I'd say that's the exception rather than the rule.
Anyone I know who’s been vaccinated in the Aviva has had the same experience
This I find harder to believe if by "same" you mean a 2 or 2.5 hour process. As I said before, over the last two weeks I've been walking past the Aviva every day and what I've seen would suggest that everyone you spoke to were just as unlucky as you.

This has been a feature of Aviva vaccinations from the start
@Leo said that this is not true and I agree with him.
Well when I arrived Friday the queue snaked along in six rows between the stadium and elverys shop
At least they had some shelter from the rain and weren't queueing out in the open down Lansdowne Road.

Last edited:
Why is there a rush whenever someone complains to basically accuse them of making something up or treating them like they have committed treason? I am not aware of anyone who said there were two hour delays at the Aviva every day but there have constant complaints about that venue that you haven't seen alsewhere.

The attitude that people should be grateful just to get vaccine is pretty pathetic if it means accepting that an elderly person should just accept two hours standing in the elements. People can be grateful for getting the vaccine while at the same time not expect to be treated like cattle even if it only happens infrequently. They are not mutually exclusive.

The OP made a very balanced post and yet one or two people have reacted like he has a hidden agenda....bizarre
The irony that you're attacking posters for being, in your opinion, extreme in their views, by then posting this extreme view of their posts! Committed treason? Treated like cattle? Come on Sunny, are we so touchy to any criticism now?
We're talking about a vaccine that has been developed in record breaking time to fight a virus that is a 1 in 100 year pandemic and people are complaining about a 2 hour wait? I've had to wait over an hour in my GP for a scheduled appointment for goodness sake!
This is a first world problem if ever I heard one. I know it's a human condition that we complain no matter how good life is but try and keep some perspective on things please.

The irony that you're attacking posters for being, in your opinion, extreme in their views, by then posting this extreme view of their posts! Committed treason? Treated like cattle? Come on Sunny, are we so touchy to any criticism now?
We're talking about a vaccine that has been developed in record breaking time to fight a virus that is a 1 in 100 year pandemic and people are complaining about a 2 hour wait? I've had to wait over an hour in my GP for a scheduled appointment for goodness sake!
This is a first world problem if ever I heard one. I know it's a human condition that we complain no matter how good life is but try and keep some perspective on things please.

What has the development of the vaccine got to do with basic logistical skills around giving the vaccine. This is complete nonsense. The HSE didn't create the vaccine yet you seem to be peddling a narrative that they deserve great credit for that.

Read the original post. It was not someone blasting the HSE or anyone involved but yet look at the response he got. There have been constant complaints about the Aviva Stadium that haven't been seen at other venues like the Helix. Nobody claimed it was every day but this idea that we should all stay quiet and just be grateful that we have a vaccine is ridiculous. Why is the OP not entitled to ask the question why he was expected to queue outside for over two hours and if there is something wrong at that venue that could be approved? After all, we have been hearing about NPHET that if anywhere is too busy, we should just leave. Yet we seem think crowds gathering at vaccination centres is ok.
Nobody is comparing the issue of queueing for over two hours with world hunger or what is going on in Gaza but I am getting tired of people believing that the HSE and anything to do with Coronavirus is above criticism.

I don't see anything wrong with the response he got - nobody attacked the OP? One poster (Paul O'M) disagrees with the view of the OP, which he is perfectly entitled to do. Another poster (Leo) pointed out that not everyone had the same delays, again there was no personal attack there. I don't see what exactly you are objecting to here Sunny. There are different views on the matter, isn't that allowed? I haven't see anything personal in there. Of course the OP is entitled to ask the question - are others not allowed to answer it in a manner that doesn't agree with the view of the OP?

Note it is not acceptable tp post pictures where members of the public are clearly identifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back