Irish Life Health aviva health insurance

martina 10

i am with aviva on health plan we plan level 5. Is there any plans similar but cheaper? thanks in advance of any answers

Hi martina 10,

Welcome to AAM. We Plan Level 5 has been re-named and is now called 'Optimise Platinum';

Here are a couple of plans with identical cover but cheaper;

1. Laya Empower Create No Excess; price 3686pa; identical hospital cover as before, good day to day medical expenses cover, refund 80 per
consultant visit, 30 per gp etc.

2. Laya Empower Secure No Excess; price 3759pa; identical hospital cover as before, good day to day expenses cover, refund 100 per consultant
visit, 40 per gp etc.

Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

The following 2 plans have identical hospital cover as before - upto and including a private room in all hi-tech hospitals but there is a once off
excess payment per admission(150 euro) or per day case(150). Good day to day cover included.
1. Laya Empower 150 Create; price 3120pa;

2. Laya Empower 150 Secure; price 3285pa;

Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

If you want to stay with Aviva, the following plans are cheaper but have semi-private cover in Mater Private and Beacon. Blackrock Clinic is
covered for a private room, as this hospital does not have shared wards, it has all private rooms as standard. Good day to day expenses cover
included;

1. Aviva Health 09; price 4099pa.
2. Aviva Optimise Gold; price 4343pa.
3. Aviva Business Plan Executive; price 4793pa.
4. Aviva Health Plan 04; price 5281pa.

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps.
Snowyb

Last edited:
thank you so much , just 1 question please ,what is the difference between Laya total health complete 175 and Aviva health 09 other than the price
thanks Martina

The main differences between 'Laya Total Health Complete 175' and ' Aviva Health Plan 09' are mainly related to excesses.

Just to explain briefly, an inpatient excess is an amount payable on admission to any private hospital or hi-tech hospital for a stay. It is NOT a nightly amount, just a one off amount to be paid if you are admitted. It is payable for each admission. It does not apply to any public hospital.

The private hospital excess is 175 euro per admission for Laya Total Health Complete 175 plan. This covers a semi-private room.
For a private room, there is a nightly shortfall of 175 per night + the inpatient excess 175.
There is also an excess payable for day case procedures in a private hospital, which is 50 or 175 per procedure. Examples of private hospitals; Hermitage Lucan, Bons Secours, St Vincents Private Elm Pk, Santry Sports Clinic.

The hi-tech inpatient hospital excess on this plan is 200 euro per admission. There is also a nightly shortfall payable in Mater Private and
Blackrock Clinic of 195 euro per night. This nightly shortfall does not apply to cardiac or orthopaedic surgery. This nightly shortfall does not
apply to the Beacon Hospital - just the 200 excess per admission. Cover in these hospitals relates to semi-private in Beacon and Mater Private and private room in Blackrock Clinic( as this hospital has no shared wards).
The day case shortfall in hi-tech hospitals is 200 per visit.

In comparison, Aviva Health Plan 09 has no excesses or shortfalls to pay on admission to any private hospital upto and including a private room,
no excesses or shortfalls to pay on admission to any hi-tech hospital upto semi-private room. Private room is fully covered in Blackrock Clinic
but there may be a shortfall payable, per night for a private room in the Mater Private or Beacon Hospital.

Day to day medical expenses cover is similar enough on both plans, you can compare 'Outpatient cover' very clearly on the following link;
[broken link removed]

Just as an alternative option worth considering, with lower excesses and full cover for a private room in a private hospital;
Laya Simplicity Plan; price 1087pa;

There is a maximum cap per year 100 x 2 = 200 for inpatient excesses payable on admission to a private or hi-tech hospital yearly.
So, if you have 10 admissions it is capped at 200 max per year.
Day case procedures in any private or hi-tech hospital is just 50 euro per visit.
The shortfall per night in Mater Private or Blackrock Clinic is 175 per night.
No nightly shortfall in the Beacon Hospital.
Good day to day expenses cover, the first 100 not allowed.

Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Just be careful as to what hospitals it does cover. I moved to aviva from vhi last year and was told same cover. I had a traffic incident in jan this year and ambulance brought me to connolly..they are required to bring you to nearest hospital ...accident was a minute away from connolly...and anyway I live in the area. Turns out aviva don't cover connolly so I got a massive bill. Answer was I should've asked ambulance to bring me to st james. I wasn't conscious!

I moved to Glo Health Zest.

amtc,

As a matter of interest, what Aviva plan did you switch to at the time?

Snowyb

amtc,

If you are covered by a plan with restrictions on the hospitals and you are brought by ambulance to a hospital not covered by a plan the insurer must pay the claim unless you are serving waiting periods.

Oh I fought it and eventually they paid. At the start they said they would cover part of it and the end of my subscription year. I think it was called flex plus 500...

My point was it didn't cover connolly. I didn't exactly while unconscious and practically in the grounds of it have a choice where to go! So the suggestion I should have asked to go to St James was mad. I knew it didn't cover Blackrock but I never thought to ask about public hospitals.

I got the Family Liaison Officer from HSE to contact them and then they paid.

when renewing I called all and on hearing my address both glo and vhi said...oh you'll need connolly....aviva didn't

Glad you got it sorted, eventually, not without a battle.

Just to clarify in case anyone is panicking, it wasn't Flex 500 plus, as that covers Connolly hospital(upto private room) and is with Laya, not Aviva.

Another detail to be careful about, in public hospitals - is whether a plan covers a private room.
Don't just assume it does, the shortfall per night is 350 approx.
This happened a friends parent, who had a long hospital stay, luckily they were just one night in a private room.
The unexpected bill that followed was a right shock, at the thought it could have been thousands.

Snowyb

Sorry checked was just called Plus 500.

Not that I got a cubicle till night 5. 2 days on chair. 2 on trolley. On fasting all time. I broke my wrist. I live nearby and could've gone home!

Back