Avg. price of one storey extension?

S

sherman

I have been quoted a very ballpark figure of €100 per square foot for a one storey extension - this was just off the top of a builder friend's head, as the average going rate nowadays in Dublin.

Obviously difficult to be specific since finish, quality etc. vary, but does €100 per square foot sound reasonable?

€100 a square foot sounds very very reasonable alright - I'm sure there'll be plenty of people around that would have paid more like €200 per sq. foot.

I'm getting an extension at cost price from my good friend who is a builder and it will be less than €100 per sq. ft. but he tells me the going rate (as in if you ring up from the yellow pages) for the same 250 sq. ft. extension would be around €45,000.

They key to good prices in the construction game is to know someone that knows someone thats gonna do the work - that way theyre more likely to give you a decent price to save their reputation chain. When a builder gets a call from someone looking in the yellow pages theyre way more likely to think 'CHA-CHING!!".

Re: ...

Excuse my ignorance, but what do these costs include? Complete with carpets / tiles / insulated attic?

(I see companies like century homes offering a timber frame shell for what seems like a good deal, according to their quick quotes. if you can finish the work yourself at your leisure - although these are complete houses not extensions – but could the old and the new structures be linked?)

If you need to get planning permission I dealt with a very good architectural practise. I'm sure they could give you a ball park figure. Liffey Architects, ph 01-8089154 or email [email protected].

Back