Average hours worked over working life

Purple

The average person works 36 hours a week, based on a 48 week year (down from over 60 in the 1870's) so if the average working life is 37 years (40.4 years and women 33.6 years) then the average person will spend 63,936 hours at work.
I worked out that I've already worked more hours than that and I'm 48. Should I be allowed to get my State pension now? :)

Date source

The average person works 36 hours a week, based on a 48 week year (down from over 60 in the 1870's) so if the average working life is 37 years (40.4 years and women 33.6 years) then the average person will spend 63,936 hours at work.
I worked out that I've already worked more hours than that and I'm 48. Should I be allowed to get my State pension now? :)

Date source
Posting Monday to Friday 8 to 4, Did you say worked, should you have said put in,;););););););););)

I left you the opening Monday to Friday 8 to 4 would be under 40 hrs, so I think you will need to put in a lot more to get it to 63936 hrs,
You are always on about the pension age needing to be raised, hopefully, you will get your wish and it will be pushed up to 90 by the time you retire, :mad:

Date source

you must have made a fortune in overtime !:eek:

I left you the opening Monday to Friday 8 to 4 would be under 40 hrs, so I think you will need to put in a lot more to get it to 63936 hrs,
I start earlier and finish later than that.
You are always on about the pension age needing to be raised, hopefully, you will get your wish and it will be pushed up to 90 by the time you retire, :mad:
90 might be a bit much but it should certainly be around 70 to receive a State pension. If you have a pension you paid for yourself then you can retire when you like but not the State pension as almost nobody paid enough PRSI to fund theirs.

I start earlier and finish later than that.

90 might be a bit much but it should certainly be around 70 to receive a State pension. If you have a pension you paid for yourself then you can retire when you like but not the State pension as almost nobody paid enough PRSI to fund theirs.
Where I Worked close to 20% of payroll went to The PRSI fund every week,
we paid sick pay and the employee returned any prsi related payments to the company, you could the total amount of prsi payments returned by year-end You would be shocked at how little it amounted to,

I have a company pension/AVC pension and the contributory pension,

I also know The % of payroll they paid in to fund the Company Pension was away lower than the amount going to the PRSI Fund,
and the amount paid in pension now is higher than the state pension, along with a tax-free lump sum,

I am sick and tired of hard-working employees putting in long hrs at work and shooting themselves in the foot, when it comes to the state contributory pension,

@kinnjohn , PRSI funds way more than pensions. It covers Jobseekers benefit, Illness, Maternity, Paternity and Adoptive benefit, Invalidity pension, Widows/Widowers pension, and a number of other schemes.
The bottom line is that you came nowhere near covering the cost of your State pension. It's paid for by those currently working (say "thank you"). Given that most of your working life was before the PRSI payment ceiling was removed you paid even less that those currently working will pay for their pension. The fact is that our future State pension liability, the contributory pension being a big part of that, is almost half a Trillion and we come nowhere near funding that.

Back