average electricity bill

Having it on 24/7 will definitely cost more than using it on demand/as needed. Try it for a week (a) on 24/7 and (b) only on when needed and compare the meter readings.

That will also shorten the life of the heating element considerably as it will be cycling a lot more.

"Considerably"? Are you sure? I would have imagined that leaving it on 24/7 would cause more wear and tear than switching it on/off as required?

"Considerably"? Are you sure? I would have imagined that leaving it on 24/7 would cause more wear and tear than switching it on/off as required?

Sorry, that's what I meant. It will be cycling a lot more if it's left on 24/7 than if it's just turned on as required.

I wish I could swap with you. How do you only use €65 of electricity in two months? I would be happy if I could get mine down to €65 for one month.

We keep our centre of activities to mostly one room and use energy saving lightbulbs and energy efficient appliances e.g the fridge has a good rating. None of us would leave home with a TV/DVD player etc on standby or unnecessary lights on. We always unplug everything. Does that explain it or am I just lucky in this one regard ?
The gas heating bill will be huge though. I fully expect it to run into hundreds when it arrives. I will need to reconsider this method of heating.

I literally just spent this morning working out our electricity and gas for the last year. We're with Airtricity. 3 bed semi-d, work from home 2 days so heat is on then. Heat is on downstairs during the day and then comes on upstairs from about 5.30 (as nobody goes upstairs during the day) We have gas heating and cooking. I like baking bread. Electric shower, immersion is never on as we use the gas to heat it in the summer on a needed basis. We do turn off TV, broadband etc at night for fire reasons if nothing else. Washing machine easily 4 times a week, no dryer. Two fridges and two freezers. All long life bulbs. No electric heaters. Gas bill for one year 719e, electricity 602e. Electricity through the year fluctuates less than the gas, between 1.30e and 2.00e per day. Gas bill recently was 4.14e per day but in the summer is 0.50e per day. Average cost per month is 110e for the two.

Just got my electricity bill in. Bord Gais - €166. That's for a 4 bed detached with myself and my brother living here. I work from home so running laptop, external monitor, wireless, printer etc. 24/7. Use gas to heat the house and water. Brother is unemployed and often has his TV/sky/XBox/laptop etc. runnign during the day (despite my nagging!). TV/Sky downstairs on for a couple of hours per day max, but i do leave it on standby.

My two monthly bill (8 Dec - 8 Feb):
Elec: 233
Gas: 408
based on my supplied readings.

Airtricity

2000sqft dormer

We are generally energy conscious but we do have 3 freezers and 2 fridges. We also do a fair few washes and have a tumble dryer as we help somebody out.

I'm a bit surprised by the Gas though. I usually turn the heat off around 7 as we set a wood burner going. I don't put the heat on upstairs except down low on the landing to take the chill out and I generally turn the heat off in rooms we don't use all the time.... or I would turn the heat off in the kitchen if I am in the living room for the night and not using the fire.

Just got big Elec bill well for us €253 for 2 months BG- 4 bed semi, kids and missus would be home in the afternoons on laptops, games consoles etc Washing machine on alot does this seem high/normal. Do leaving laptops plugged in all the time use up alot of electricity?

Hi there,

What is the average Electric and gas Bill for a couple in a 3 bed semi? Anyone have any clue, it seems difficult to calculate!!
Cheers

It all depends...
What heats your house/water
How long per day is the house occupied
How many showers(electric?)
Washing machine/tumble drier use

But FWIW,I live in a 3 bed end terrace and spend an average 2k a year on all energy.

I live in three bed semi, gas and electricity. Average €1,000 per year. Got extra insulation in attic Nov 2011. I use the heat by having it on for long periods at lower temps so house never gets too cold. All energy saving or led bulbs in house.use washing machine almost daily. Tumble dryer on damp clothes(not wet) only. Two electric showers in the house.

Yes total for the two. Have spread sheet for last few yrs that I compare. Gas would not usually be on mid April to end Sept.

Back