AVCs - Lecturers, Teachers,Nurses, Gardai, Civil Servants etc. - wake up!

auburn

Dear ASKABOUTMONEY members,

I am writing this e-mail as an awareness-raising exercise in relation to the crippling charges imposed on Union members (lecturers, teachers, nurses, gardai, civil servants etc.) through the AVC schemes brokered by pension intermediaries such as (Cornmarket, Marsh Ireland etc.) and managed by life offices such as (e.g. Irish Life, Friends First, Hibernian etc.). The typical charges are as follows:

• 95 % allocation rate (i.e. only €95 out of every €100 contributed is invested)
  • 1 per cent (minimum) annual management charge

Let's probe the financial absurdity of the situation that these union members find themselves in, a little further:

Teachers, lecturers, nurses, gardai etc. all over this country are members of unions. The members pay a subscription to its union to act in the “best interest” of its members. Through some "tendering process", these unions then go and award the AVC business of all its members to a financial intermediary (like Cornmarket, Marsh Ireland etc.) who, between the intermediary and the fund manager, typically take 5 % of all regular and once-off contributions from the member, on top of a 1% annual management charge.

In my view, this is a financial scandal and I don’t think I am over-reacting. Why? Because these same members could access the same investment funds by taking out a standalone PRSA AVC privately through any number of discount brokers who will set up the scheme with a fund manager on a nil commission basis (e.g. LA Brokers, LD Ferguson & Associates etc.). 100% of the member’s funds are invested. The discount broker gets a finder’s fee from the life office based on volume and consistency of business pushed through. This is paid for from the profits of the life office.

The only major disadvantage that I can think of to members in taking out a PRSA AVC privately, is in having to set up a direct debit and pay from net salary. Tax relief then needs to be claimed by the individual afterwards (arranging with Revenue to increase Credits and organising PRSI relief through Dept. of Social Welfare)

Public sector unions are responsible for awarding large captive markets to various financial intermediaries. In doing so, it should have ensured that the latter did its utmost to use the buying power to drive down the charges so that people within these schemes would be getting a better deal than those outside it. Instead, the opposite is the case – it is truly quite astonishing.

In writing this, I hope that lecturing staff, technical staff, administration staff, nurses, gardai etc. and other public servants who have chosen the AVC route to pension top-up slowly begin to realise that they are no longer tied to these grossly uncompetitive and highly restrictive monopolies. I fear though, that those who are aware are in relatively small numbers.

Regards,

Auburn

Some interesting points here. Do the unions actually go through a tender process to select these providers? How often is it tendered? Have any union members formally asked for a union response/justification?

...........and, don't forget, the Dept. charges another 1% up front, for the "difficulties" in collecting these sums and passing them on to the provider.

This 1% is not listed in your statements ,as it is NOT a charge incurred for or on behalf of the provider.

just out of interest i had a free assessment from cornmarket rep just two weeks ago pushing very forcibly( wanting me to sign on the day) salary protection, health insurance(vivas) and prsa/avc(irish life) also had the cheek to suggest that i change my current ac not very impressed at all
big questions about IMPACT endorsing a company with expensive charges

The same charges are also paid by most people with AVCs in the private sector too because the Trustees of the schemes just rubber stamp everything the administrators/brokers put to them. They don't have the confidence,knowledge or "where-with-all" to ask why.
Someday, members will wake up and ask why only 95% is invested. A good financial journalist with any of the Sunday newspapers should have exposed this long ago. But then, who are their big advertisers ?

Is there not also an upfront charge for AVCs? From what I remember its about €600 or €800.

They make a fortune exploiting the financial ignorance of teachers and nurses.
And they do it with the full assistance of the Unions.

By logging onto submissions can be made in relation to this and other pensions topics.

This website has been established by the Department of Social and Family Affairs to provide information on the Irish Government's Green Paper on Pensions. The purpose of the Green Paper is to set out the current position in relation to social welfare , occupational, personal and public service pensions and pose questions for consideration. You can use this website to make a submission.

The only major disadvantage that I can think of to members in taking out a PRSA AVC privately, is in having to set up a direct debit and pay from net salary. Tax relief then needs to be claimed by the individual afterwards (arranging with Revenue to increase Credits and organising PRSI relief through Dept. of Social Welfare)

Hi, I currently am a member of an AVC with Marsh, investing in an Irish Permanent fund and naturally very interested in the discussion.

Can somebody who hasn't got their AVC with Cornmarket or Marsh explain how this affects the tax relief in more detail.

Would I be correct in assuming the following?

With Marsh or Cornmarket if I invest 100 euro each month I would only have to pay 60€ while the other 40€ are contributed by tax-relief at source.

With the AVC PRSAs I would have to pay the 100 euro every month and claim my tax-relief at the end of the tax-year.

With Marsh or Cornmarket if I invest 100 euro each month I would only have to pay 60€ while the other 40€ are contributed by tax-relief at source.

With the AVC PRSAs I would have to pay the 100 euro every month and claim my tax-relief at the end of the tax-year.

You're 75% correct. With an AVC PRSA you do pay the 100 per month but you can claim your tax relief immediately. Usually Revenue will increase your tax credits, meaning that you will pay less tax and thus get more in your pay packet each fortnight once Revenue process your claim.

You have to wait until th end of the tax year to claim your PRSI relief, but that's a far smaller amount than the tax relief.

An AVC is a savings scheme and you get the tax advantages up front. Even though the charges are expensive it is still a good way of saving fro retirement fro some people. It suits to get your contributions taken out directly and have your tax taken care of on the spot.

An AVC is a savings scheme and you get the tax advantages up front. Even though the charges are expensive it is still a good way of saving fro retirement fro some people. It suits to get your contributions taken out directly and have your tax taken care of on the spot.

Suits who exactly? This is a scandal as it's people on middle incomes being stitched up.

An AVC is a savings scheme and you get the tax advantages up front. Even though the charges are expensive it is still a good way of saving fro retirement fro some people.

But a better way is to avail of the exact same tax advantages but be charged less.

It suits to get your contributions taken out directly and have your tax taken care of on the spot.

Given that Revenue will usually adjust your tax credits if you claim yourself, with the result that you pay less tax, it seems like an awful lot of money to be paying in extra charges just for the convenience of having your AVC deducted from salary instead of by Direct Debit.

To clarify again - there is no monetary advantage in having an AVC deducted from salary over having an AVC PRSA deducted by Direct Debit. The only difference is having to claim relief yourself, which is a matter of completing one form for tax and one for PRSI.

To clarify again - there is no monetary advantage in having an AVC deducted from salary over having an AVC PRSA deducted by Direct Debit.

Actually, as I've posted several times before, there IS a monetary disadvantage in having an AVC deducted from salary - the Dept. takes 1% from every contribution, before the provider even gets hold of it. This does NOT appear on your statements, as it is not deducted for/on the provider's behalf.

Pay your AVC directly through public service salary deduction and you're down 1% before you even get out of the starting blocks!

Having been in one of these high charge AVC schemes for a number of years, I was just wondering if I would be subject to some draconian penalties if I wanted to transfer the sum I have accumulated there to a standalone PRSA AVC ? Are they legally free to impose such penalties?

I think Auburn's suggestion of making a submission to the web site named is an excellent idea and I will certainly do so.

HAL9000

Actually, as I've posted several times before, there IS a monetary disadvantage in having an AVC deducted from salary - the Dept. takes 1% from every contribution, before the provider even gets hold of it. This does NOT appear on your statements, as it is not deducted for/on the provider's behalf.

I don't think that the Dept. can take a 1% administration charge on a PRSA AVC. My understanding is that, the only charges that can apply to a PRSA are the contribution charge and the annual management charge.

I don't think that the Dept. can take a 1% administration charge on a PRSA AVC. My understanding is that, the only charges that can apply to a PRSA are the contribution charge and the annual management charge.

You are correct wrt the PRSA charges. My point was that the charge imposed by the DEpt. is NOT a PRSA charge, but a charge imposed by the Dept. to "compensate" it for the "difficulties" in collecting the contributions before passing them on to Cornmarket. As such, this 1% doesn't appear, nor is it required to, on your annual statement.

You'll find info on it [broken link removed].

This is the text from the above link:

Dáil Éireann - Volume 574 - 11 November, 2003
Written Answers. - AVC Scheme.Mr. Kenny Mr. Kenny
262. Mr. Kenny asked the Minister for Education and Science the charges or levies a company (details supplied) impose on teachers with respect to the AVC scheme. [26448/03]
Mr. Dempsey Mr. Dempsey
Minister for Education and Science (Mr. Dempsey): My Department currently takes a 1% handling fee by way of a deduction from the total contributions of members in respect of all the products operated under the deduction at source arrangements for Cornmarket. The role of my Department is to operate the deduction facility. The issue of any charges or levies that the company referred to by the Deputy may impose on teachers is a matter between the company, the individual teacher and the relevant teacher union.

PS I've just re-read it an was surprised to see that, all along, I'd missed the "all products" bit - so that includes life insurance, PHI etc.:mad:

Hi Marathon Man,

I can see how they would get away with the charge for all 'other' products (including non PRSA AVCs), but I don't think that the Regulator of PRSAs would be too happy about 'other' charges being imposed on a contract that does not allow for this in the legislation.

Hi F. Kruger,
There's probably a case to be taken - and the Dail report is fairly cut and dried wrt evidence.

Maybe someone else would like to take it up with the Ombudsman. I wouldn't mind doing it, but won't be doing so for the foreseeable future - a lot more pressing issues on my plate.

Another point to bear in mind is the fact that it is only in recent times that both Marsh and Cornmarket reduced there charges at one time (not so long ago) they had annual charges of up to 9%.

They now charge 5% & 1% and have a hefty admin fee for top ups.

Bedlam

Back