AVC Cornmarket - new teacher just starting off

BubbleWrap85

Hi I have seen many threads covering AVC's and Cornmarket but I suppose what I'm looking for is a personalised opinion on my situation.

I am 23 and am a primary school teacher. Had a visit from a Cornmarket guy & he made it seem like I couldn't live without the AVC's. I concluded that it was a good idea, and my housemate had already signed up for it the year previous. I also signed for salary protection, but on thinking over it again, I have realised that I probably don't need that so I will cancel that. I still think the AVC is a good idea. I initially thought that Cornmarket was a company, not a broker. I am unsure as to whether I should continue with the AVC or not. I've only signed in to put the minimum [€20] per fortnight into it, and as it's tax deductable and all that, I thought I had made the right decision. Now I have heard things about using a different package from a different company, or staying away from Cornmarket as they are connected with the stock market or something. Basically, I don't have a clue of pensions, tax and all that so wondering whether I should keep my AVC or not!

What do you think the AVC will give to you that the superannuation scheme will not?

Hi Bubble wrap,

Search this site for "Cornmarket" and "AVC" and you will get plenty of hits and discussion.

aj

One thing for sure - Cornmarket will keep calling until you say yes. My daughter is a teacher and they annoyed her so much she had to send a letter of complaint to them. You may have to do the same. As mentioned above, plenty of threads about Cornmarket so do a search. Briefly, I have looked at their policies and my advise is to shop around - don't give it to them. There policies are certainly not the best as you will discover when you read up on the other Cornmarket threads here on AAM.

Bubble wrap

Im a teacher as well 32 now. Its good to have an AVC for a few different reasons. Its 42% tax free and its a few extra quid when you retire...

.. however and my mate works fro cornmarket and set me up with an AVC... so i have nothing against them in that sense.... but they are rip off merchants through and through.. they charge 5% of everythign you stick in and 1% at the end of every year.... I just cancelled mine and the missus, shes a teacher as well and gonna go for LA broker they simply chareg 1% a year

just my 2c worth

kk

Back