Automatic inheritor upon death.

I

IanDublin

Bought a house with my girlfriend.Neither of us have a will at the moment. In the event of my death or her death, would the house automatically go to the other person. Or would their share go back to their next of kin?

Thanks in advance.

As you have no will, I think either share would go to next of kin. Even if you will it to one another there are other implications i.e. you are not relatives so the survivor may have to pay tax on the inheritance. It also depends on the way your solicitor drew up contracts etc. at the outset. I'd see a solicitor ASAP.

It depends on whether you own the property at tenants in common or joint tenants. If joint tenants it automatically goes to the survivor, if tenants in common it goes under the rules on intestacy if no will.

It depends on whether you own the property at tenants in common or joint tenants. If joint tenants it automatically goes to the survivor, if tenants in common it goes under the rules on intestacy if no will.

That's correct.

Moved from Other Financial Issues.

See for some summary information on what happens to an individual's estate when they die intestate.

Back